FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: SEM paint color match for early center caps?

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

SEM paint color match for early center caps?

Guys and Gals,

The center caps on my early car (read: Dark Grey) rims have faded back to their original black-ish color. Does anyone know what the real color of these were supposed to be? Were they the same color as the rims, or slightly different? I can paint the caps black and do silver detail work on the DMC logo, but I would prefer to keep it real and original.

What say you, brethren? Could someone with dark grey rims post a good hi res picture of their caps for comparison/color matching purposes? Thanks in advance!
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    Early

My center caps are black, but faded too! As for the color, NOS caps were on eBay awhile back, and they were a grayish blackish color.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    <2000

Hi Brandon,

Here are my dark grey rims. Ignore the yellowish tinge as that is a reflection from another car.

image.jpg

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Guys and Gals,

The center caps on my early car (read: Dark Grey) rims have faded back to their original black-ish color. Does anyone know what the real color of these were supposed to be? Were they the same color as the rims, or slightly different? I can paint the caps black and do silver detail work on the DMC logo, but I would prefer to keep it real and original.

What say you, brethren? Could someone with dark grey rims post a good hi res picture of their caps for comparison/color matching purposes? Thanks in advance!
    IMG_2075.jpg

Here is a pic I coincidentally posted on Facebook a half hour ago. The center caps are NOS and I have a few sets left. The wheels are NOS on one side and our power coated reconditioned one on the other. Can you guess which is which? PM me for more info if interested.
    Rob
    P.S. Yes I know it's upside down but I'm in a hurry and don't have time to fuss with it and you get the idea. It's round anyway!

My VIN:    1589

I have the dark grey wheels and a previous owner had removed the grey center caps and replaced them with black ones. I found 3 of the original grey ones in the glove compartment. I just had the wheels powder coated and I asked the shop to color match them to grey that was on the wheels and also to paint the black center caps grey to match. I asked the shop which paint code they matched it with and they said BMW 472. Here is a picture of an original center cap and a newly painted one and also with it in the wheel. I was happy with the match. I believe you could buy BMW 472 from this website if you thought it was a close enough match: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...008/alpina-b7/

20160209_214625.jpg

20160209_214657.jpg

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Wow, looks pretty close to glossy fascia color!

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

caps match rims

I have black rim caps with silver DMC. I painted the D red left the
    M silver and painted the C blue. My rims have one side of the spoke red
    and the other side blue. Makes for some interesting color flopping.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I found a close match at my local Ace Hardware, below is the before and after:

IMG_0502.jpgIMG_0503.jpgIMG_0504.jpg
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R