FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeking a Delorean Foster Parent

My VIN:    01067

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Seeking a Delorean Foster Parent

This is going to sound strange, but here goes.
    [I] am about to retire from the ARMY. I am a proud owner of a Delores and have done a lot of work to it to get it as reliable as can be expected.
    I am planning to do some sailing/criusing(time indeterminate). I DO NOT want to sell this car as I do love it so
    I would like to find someone that would be interested in FOSTERING this car. USA, hopefully more west than east.
    If you are interested Get back to me.
    You would not be paying for the car. It is an opportunity to have a DELOREAN in your life for awhile.
    Ok I will leave it at that for now. Any interested parties, please contact me.
    Dan

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Wow...this has to be a first.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Question

Surely you must have requirements for the foster parent. Good driving record, garage for the Delorean, etc. ?
    Hell, I'd do it if you don't require it being garaged. My driving record is good.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I'm not trying to deny someone this opportunity, but is there a reason why you wouldn't just put into proper storage and avoid the liability?

I'm sure there are thousands of people that would love to jump at this opportunity; I hope you have some sort of interview/screening process.

Can a person take out an insurance policy on a car titled and registered to someone else? I'm not sure about other states, but I doubt you could in Florida. In Florida you cant register a car unless it titled to you, and you also cannot register it unless you first prove you have an insurance policy on the car.

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Never met the guy but based solely on his reputation here and based on word of mouth Chris Burns from
    Fernandina Beach FL sounds like a great foster parent. Has no DMC "children" so your DMC baby would be a spoiled only child. As far as insurance so long as it is registered and insured under your name and Chris maintains his current insurance you are protected by both. It may be prudent to have him add your car to his policy but if not you are covered by both his and your policy just like you would be if you let a friend take it for a ride and he got into a fender bender.
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664
    ---------------------------------

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    Never met the guy but based solely on his reputation here and based on word of mouth Chris Burns from
    Fernandina Beach FL sounds like a great foster parent. Has no DMC "children" so your DMC baby would be a spoiled only child. As far as insurance so long as it is registered and insured under your name and Chris maintains his current insurance you are protected by both. It may be prudent to have him add your car to his policy but if not you are covered by both his and your policy just like you would be if you let a friend take it for a ride and he got into a fender bender.
    This gets dicey though with classic cars. I know my insurance wants to know everyone that's going to be a regular driver (which a "foster parent" would certainly be). If someone was going to be be driving my car, they would have to be added as a driver on my insurance, and their driving record and history (tickets, accidents, etc.) would all be considered, and factored into my premium. My insurance also requires proof that each registered driver has a "daily driver" vehicle, and that the type of coverage of that vehicle matches my classic car (I just switched from Hagerty to Heacock Classic Car Insurance for the DeLorean so I just went through all of this). I'd imagine this gets even more difficult if the person is out of state. I'm sure all insurance is a little difference but this is my experience. Just trying to make sure everything is considered. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 02-11-2016 at 05:14 AM.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

I can empathize with the situation, but this opens up a whole lot of liability on the foster parent and you. I don't know of any insurance company that would pay out if there were a total loss while the car is in someone else's hands.

No offense to Chris, because I know he would take care of the car as if it were his own child, but when the owner comes to take the car back it's going to rip out his heart. Will it be worth it? Is Chris willing to take on such a huge responsibility? Does he have the financial resources to properly care for and store the vehicle?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Garage

Yes, I certainly would want such a car garaged. The would be at the top of the list. A lot of good points folks. I prefer to keep the car in a dry climate. I was hoping more towards Co, NM, Az. To mothball a D is asking for issues as y'all know.

Ls1

Maybe Nick could keep and throw an LS1 in there

My VIN:    6125

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind putting a DeLorean in "foster care". All the issues you read about with people bringing cars out of storage after decades of sitting are because the cars were not properly prepared for long term storage. With a little planning you should be able to mothball your DeLorean for years and have it back up and running quickly whenever you get back from your travels.

There are hundreds of articles on the internet with instructions to properly store a car for years at a time. They all say pretty much the same thing...change all the fluids like engine oil, coolant, brake fluid/clutch fluid. Drain the fuel tank, fog the cylinders, remove the battery, put up on jack stands. Plug up the exhaust pipes to prevent rodents from making a home inside. Put dryer sheets in the interior and moth ball cakes around the exterior of the car to keep rodents and pests away. Lay down a plastic sheet below the car for a moisture barrier between the ground and the car. Park in a dry environment. Clean and detail the interior & exterior. Put a car cover on it.

It's pretty basic stuff that anyone can do and you'll have greater peace of mind knowing that your car is parked somewhere safe and not being driven and potentially wrecked. I'm hesitant to let people in my own family drive my DeLorean let alone a stranger off the internet. If you decide to leave your car under the care of someone else be sure to sign contracts that clearly spell out your terms of use and liability. I would probably get a lawyer involved to help cover all your bases.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast