FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seeking a Delorean Foster Parent

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I left my D in the care of my parents when I was in the Army in the mid 2000's. It was garaged on car wheel dollies so it could be moved, my dad started it up every now and then, pumped the clutch and brake pedals and that was it. I would put it on the road and drive it if I was visiting them on leave.

In the instance I did not have my parents as an option, I did contact some vendors about long term storage options with them. I wouldn't trust anyone else to take care of it IMHO.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    01067

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Storage

Great points.Thanks. I am planning to move all my vehicles to ABQ NM(lived there awhile). The Foster thing is something I think ought to be considered. Of course liability, trust, maintenance, etc are all huge issues.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

How long are you thinking for this? Are we talking about months or years? I've had my car in storage for the last 7 months. When I went home in December, it fired up immediately on the first turn of the key. It's all about how you store it. Store it incorrectly and yes, problems can arise. Store it correctly and the car will barely notice!

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

My grandfather has fostered cars for people before. I'll ask him if he's interested.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Interested, You have IM.

Delorean.foster car

Oh boy I would be scared to death something would happen to it and I would just have to sit on the floor and stare at it for fear to take it out even for a drive. Maybe care for it. I would love to do it but oh my would I never sleep a wink worrying about it.James at Humble Texas is where you should take it. I wouldn't sleep a wink worrying about it until you came back. My husband was a protptype model maker and worked for Harley Earl as his last apprentice when my husband was 20. We have one through every inch of the dmc and I was worried if I bought one that I couldn't care for it and Wayne said no problem . So we are still looking for something we can afford to buy. We live in Montana nothing rusts here I presently am restoring my 1973 dodge charger. Wayne and I also own a 1968rt440 in perfect condition but the dmc has my heart. e-mail us at [email protected] any time if you would like to talk. Mary

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

As far as DeLorean bad ideas, this ranks right up there with the PRV and a mild steel frame.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    There are hundreds of articles on the internet with instructions to properly store a car for years at a time. They all say pretty much the same thing...change all the fluids like engine oil, coolant, brake fluid/clutch fluid. Drain the fuel tank, fog the cylinders, remove the battery, put up on jack stands. Plug up the exhaust pipes to prevent rodents from making a home inside. Put dryer sheets in the interior and moth ball cakes around the exterior of the car to keep rodents and pests away. Lay down a plastic sheet below the car for a moisture barrier between the ground and the car. Park in a dry environment. Clean and detail the interior & exterior. Put a car cover on it.
    Best proven results caught on camera is a storage in an abandoned mine shaft. Mark the cover planks with your initials.

Sorry, but I had to say that or I would have blown up.
    - Volker Seidel -

The way I see it, if you're gonna drive around in a car, why not do it with some style?

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind putting a DeLorean in "foster care". All the issues you read about with people bringing cars out of storage after decades of sitting are because the cars were not properly prepared for long term storage. With a little planning you should be able to mothball your DeLorean for years and have it back up and running quickly whenever you get back from your travels.

There are hundreds of articles on the internet with instructions to properly store a car for years at a time. They all say pretty much the same thing...change all the fluids like engine oil, coolant, brake fluid/clutch fluid. Drain the fuel tank, fog the cylinders, remove the battery, put up on jack stands. Plug up the exhaust pipes to prevent rodents from making a home inside. Put dryer sheets in the interior and moth ball cakes around the exterior of the car to keep rodents and pests away. Lay down a plastic sheet below the car for a moisture barrier between the ground and the car. Park in a dry environment. Clean and detail the interior & exterior. Put a car cover on it.

It's pretty basic stuff that anyone can do and you'll have greater peace of mind knowing that your car is parked somewhere safe and not being driven and potentially wrecked. I'm hesitant to let people in my own family drive my DeLorean let alone a stranger off the internet. If you decide to leave your car under the care of someone else be sure to sign contracts that clearly spell out your terms of use and liability. I would probably get a lawyer involved to help cover all your bases.
    ^good advice

My VIN:    5311

With a little planning you should be able to mothball your DeLorean for years and have it back up and running quickly whenever you get back from your travels.
    - Chris

what

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2