FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0 L PRV carb build?

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

3.0 L PRV carb build?

Has anyone attempted a 3.0L PRV build with a carb setup? It's been on my mind the last few days. I'd love to build something with triple Weber carbs, velocity stacks, forged internals, Spec 1 exhaust, and an aggressive cam. It'd be a great project to start after college. Maybe I'll do a manual swap too.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Honestly you would probably have more money in the webers compared to using the 3.0 manifold with existing rails and MS II.

My VIN:    6585

Agreed. I even tried contacting the Alpine club in the UK about manifolds, and they don't supply them because they're so scarce. TWM Induction used to make modular intake manifold kits for the B28F PRV that could either attach fuel rails or Webber Carbs, and then include stacks, cold air boxes for custom intakes, velocity stacks, the whole shebang. And they had a really extensive catalog of various engines they could provide this for. Again, all modular and interchangeable.

But then Borla bought them out, and it's EFI only. Damn shame too. They have all the parts to cheaply carb (triple-deuce or 6 single ports), or fuel inject our engines (and many, MANY others), but refuse to produce them at all. According to them, carburetors are a dying breed. There's more interest now in converting engines over to EFI than converting, or even maintaining carbs. Sign of the times I'm afraid.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Sign of forward progress I'm afraid.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Sign of forward progress I'm afraid.
    Robert

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I really wanted to try to build something old school.
    I love this setup that somebody was building for a Renault Alpine.
    IMG_3930.JPG

Oh and Josh, Spec 1 will work on any PRV right?

The problem with that engine though is that it's a 2.7L Carbureted. It has different heads with larger intake ports because it doesn't have any bosses for the K-Jetronic Fuel Injectors. So I'm not sure that manifold would fit.

Now if you absolutely insist, you might have an option here.

But be prepared, because it looks like they're charging 450,00 € per side, for a total of 900,00 €, or a bit over $1,000. On top of that, you've still got to get your carburetors. Judging by their prices, that's probably going to be around another $1,500 or so, for about $2,500 as a rough starting estimate, which also doesn't count other miscellaneous parts.

Now comparatively, the 2.7L PRV from the Alpine also had higher compression. So you're going to need some new performance cams at minimum with shaved heads. Which unfortunately because of the K-Jet design of the more restrictive intake ports, you're not going to experience the full benefit. You could counter this with some Eagle Premier 3.0L heads and matching intake manifolds from the same site above, but the odd-fire internals must be kept, and you need to figure out if you can even drill out the head to mount the distributor.

Now I'm not accounting for other costs like the exhaust system. Because even if you just wanted to stick with EFI or CI Fuel Injection you'd be buying those anyway. Possibly the same with the performance cams as well. But still, be it EFI or Carburetor, you're gonna have that $2,500 (and even add the cost of cams if you opt for a direct 3.0L swap) for your delivery system to play with in a project that is going to set you back a few thousand dollars.

Now I will tell you this. What you're looking to do, it's not impossible by any means. But I would warn you first to do a serious self evaluation before you begin. And that would be that you must figure out "why" you are wanting to do this.

If you are looking for cheap horsepower, this isn't for you. I would strongly discourage you from attempting this at all. We've been looking for cheap horsepower for the past 35 years. Someone would have found it by now.

However, if you're looking for a challenge that is purposefully NOT easy, then yes, this is for you.

It's like they say about fishermen and their 3 stages: At first a fisherman wants to catch all of the fish that he can. Then he wants to catch the biggest fish that he can. Until finally, he wants only to catch the most difficult fish that he can. It's the same thing with car repair. We start out wanting to work on and restore or customize any car that we can. As we move along, we want to build the biggest and best car that we can! Until finally, we want to work on the most difficult and challenging car that we can. Not something that we can just pick-up parts at the local AutoZone for, let alone even have delivered over night. But something rare. Something that is difficult and requires real old fashioned work. Something where you're acquiring parts from swap meets, or even overseas. Where you're not just Googling a website, but you're following down leads. You're not bolting-on some parts, you're cross-referencing, experimenting, filing, and even machining.

If that is where you are at, and you are fully aware of the challenge which lies ahead of you, I sincerely encourage you to go for it. But only if you're fully aware of what you're getting into beforehand.
    Robert

Yes it will fit 2.7 2.8 and 3.0 head configurations.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

there is also this kit from the UK Alpine's crowd
    holley.jpgholle.jpg
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    there is also this kit from the UK Alpine's crowd
    holley.jpgholle.jpg
    But again, does it require a core, and will it fit the 2.8L?
    Robert

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast