FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 3.0 L PRV carb build?

My VIN:    6585

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not shooting anything down because I'm some sort of purist that is throwing up roadblocks to convince you to NOT modify your car. I fully support modification and making something yours. It's just that you've got to really be aware of what you're getting yourself into here. Because there is no simple solution.

If it were me, I would look to acquire a set of those 3.0L heads, and see if I could drill out the left Cylinder Head to see if I could mount the 2.8L Distributor. Once that is verified, source yourself a carburetor manifold, and see about getting that Alpine kit. From there, get the performance cams, shave the heads to increase compression and to index them properly, and then proceed to port/polish the heads.

EFI is also an option too.

You would then achieve having yourself a nice, unique PRV either way, but it's your choice here.

But just realize that it ain't gonna be cheap, and it's not the most economically efficient way to get additional power.

Here, take a look at this sign:

Two roads to go: Alamo, and Mormon Well. To be fair, this IS a bit up Mormon Well, so it's kind of showing you were you came from. Highway 93 is the road back into Vegas (Vegas isn't *that* far, as that is just to the center of downtown and not the valley). But at the end of that other road is Alamo, Nevada. Now what is interesting is that despite appearing to be a shorter distance away, it's actually quicker, and more fuel efficient to turn around, go back down to Vegas, across the beltway, UP I-15, and then turn off and go up 95. And BOOM! You're at Pahranagat and Alamo.

It "looks" like it's shorter to go down that road, but it's not. Here is what awaits you:

So why would anyone take that road? It's not easy. It will be slower, there are more dangers, and there is no cell phone reception. You need a CB to communicate back to the Ranger Station, or to other people if any can here you. Oh, and you just might need to have a hand-held unit so if you break down, you can walk up part of a mountain to broadcast back. You need a 4x4, ground clearance, some skid plates, extra food, water, fuel, emergency supplies, tools, and maybe even a few other things...

So again, why in the hell would anyone take such a path? Because they can. And they love the journey. Google some of those locations on the sign to see what they really look like. All of those things you would miss by going back to the safety of the city.

Just like swapping an engine, or building one of your own. I'm not going to stop you from doing anything, but I will at least ask you to think about your goals, and what it is that you want. Just like the road to Alamo, it seems like a short cut, but it's not. It costs more to take that path, and there is no special reward waiting for you. Just like trying to extract more power out of a PRV. There is no shortcut to cheap and easy performance. But if you want some personal satisfaction, and perhaps maybe even a bit of personal glory, then you may very well enjoy that path. But just like how there is no cell phone reception, you won't have the same easy access to help. Just like how I said I don't know if you can drill to mount that Ignition Distributor, I've no idea what the road conditions that lie ahead for you are. Maybe someone else does and can help act as a spotter for you on that trail when the terrain gets too rough. Maybe you just might need to turn around if that trail is impassable too...

I just want you to be prepared.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Why all of this silly hassle about drilling out and making an archaic mechanical distributor happen? Megajolt is cheap, installation is straight forward, along with a host of other advantages.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    6585

If you want to do that, go right ahead. I brought it up because there was already talk of using the Eagle Premier's distributor to accommodate a traditional mechanical one. You could absolutely install a DIS if you wanted to. It's up to you.

Another option would be the DIS. But if you're using DIS, that means you've already installed a system to meter ignition, why not just tap into that and use EFI? You could then stick with the even-fire 3.0L. Or just swap over the 3.0L's heads and intake manifold to be paired with the performance cams.

If someone is doing a build like this just for the sake of doing so, there really are no wrong answers as long as everything works in the end. But again, that is precisely the type of fantasy build we're talking about here, isn't it?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Not a DeLorean Guru

Of course there are wrong answers. They are the answers that do not agree with mine.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Another option would be the DIS. But if you're using DIS, that means you've already installed a system to meter ignition, why not just tap into that and use EFI?
    I have a good answer for that. Because DIS is waaaaaaaaaaaaay simpler to setup and get running right then doing an entire EFI system from the get go. Lots and lots of people in the muscle car community do it for that very reason. They keep the carb, and go DIS for its benefits. Simple, easy, and especially peasy.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    And that is only on the early '88 & '89 3.0L PRV engine that had the distributor mounted on the end of the Right Cam Shaft. The '90-'92 utilized a Distributorless Ignition System.
    Its the same engine either way. The 90+ just was missing the distributor and had a freeze plug covering the hole in the timing cover. Distributor or not, its no good for a computerless carb setup.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

You're going to end up spending thousands of dollars, anyway, so unless you're in a great hurry to get on the road, I suggest you build an engine that will last and perform well:

- Bottom end and camshafts from Volvo B280 (even fire, oil-to-water oil cooler, and cross-bolted main bearings are why you want the bottom end).
    - Liners, heads, throttle body, intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds from 3.0L.
    - Electronic engine management of your choice.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    You're going to end up spending thousands of dollars, anyway, so unless you're in a great hurry to get on the road, I suggest you build an engine that will last and perform well:

- Bottom end and camshafts from Volvo B280 (even fire, oil-to-water oil cooler, and cross-bolted main bearings are why you want the bottom end).
    - Liners, heads, throttle body, intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds from 3.0L.
    - Electronic engine management of your choice.

Farrar
    This sounds like it could be a boost monster.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    This sounds like it could be a boost monster.
    It certainly could be, but normally aspirated it should yield you 170-200 smooth horsepower, according to the folks on various Volvo forums I've scoured over the years.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Not a DeLorean Guru

A real, honest 200 (not the bullshit that the vendors claim) in a DMC would be pretty nice. My Esprit weighs 2,700 pounds, and makes 215, and goes like f'ing stink.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast