FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake Calipers. Rebuild or replace?

My VIN:    2483

Brake Calipers. Rebuild or replace?

So here is a picture of what I have.

Thank you to DMCH for making a great video on brake rebuilding. (keep them coming guys)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTXzns7O2EA

The video is well done explaining the process and seems like a straight forward job.

The question I have is, at what point are calipers not worth rebuilding and need to be replaced?

What should I be looking for when I do open them up?

All the parts off this car are in such rough condition.

I don't mind putting work into them however, brakes are very important and not an area I want to say

"Well.....it should work"
    Attached Images

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Plating is key and is a must on any rebuild. You will not know exactly what you have until a complete tear down is done. Just from the looks plating the halves and seals will be required. Avoid not doing this as the bore needs to be protected from corrosion. This is what separates a good rebuild from one that will last a much shorter time. As a rule of thumb we never reuse pistons and always replace with our stainless components. Depending on if yours are pitted or not they may be usable still. Outside appearance isn't going to give you a good sense of this. The calipers can be perfect on the outside and destroyed inside and vice versa.

sand blast them and have them zink coated - and they look like new.

new seals, new bleeding screws and perhaps new pistons.

I am no expert and I did it, too. 15 years ago...

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Also rough condition is easy to fix. There is a wide array of over the counter chemicals to dip and clean these components to like new prior to finding a plating service. Its always important to clean and check your own parts prior to this as to find any hidden issues or pitting etc.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by delgato View Post
    So here is a picture of what I have.

Thank you to DMCH for making a great video on brake rebuilding. (keep them coming guys)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTXzns7O2EA

The video is well done explaining the process and seems like a straight forward job.

The question I have is, at what point are calipers not worth rebuilding and need to be replaced?

What should I be looking for when I do open them up?

All the parts off this car are in such rough condition.

I don't mind putting work into them however, brakes are very important and not an area I want to say

"Well.....it should work"
    They can usually be resurrected but you won't know on these ones until you try as they may not come apart easily. I'd suggest you pick a vendor of your choice and send them off to them as these should definitely be stripped and re-plated before reassembly which is not cost effective unless you're getting a lot of parts plated. We carry rebuilt calipers that come cadmium plated and have stainless pistons and fluid pipes included. Your parking brake assemblies probably need rebuilding and we can offer those on exchange basis as well.
    Rob

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

If you're resurrecting a whole car, bead blast all your brackets, nuts and bolts and do a "load" of zinc plating. It's usually $200 minimum for up to X pieces, then another $25 to the next threshold, etc.

Just food for thought.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi there,

I recently rebuilt my calipers. If it helps, here is a pic of mine opened up:
    image.jpg

In my case, other than half of the pistons being stuck, which took more effort to remove, the calipers were good. The pistons were pitted, but I replaced them with SS versions. Rebuilding the calipers was straightforward, and they work great. Take good pictures of the rear caliper parts as you disassemble them, especially the parking brake portion.

Here is a pic of the plated / new parts before assembly.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I found that this was one of the more satisfying tasks on the restoration.

Good luck!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6585

Probably a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

I thought that you couldn't get yellow zinc coating on calipers any longer because of environmental regulations?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

I thought that you couldn't get yellow zinc coating on calipers any longer because of environmental regulations?
    Yellow Zinc is fine (it's just a colorant, zinc is really silver). The hard one is cadmium which is what the yellow stuff used to be. Environmental hazard and all that.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    6313

Anyone know where I can get the o rings for between the front calipers without have to buy a whole kit (as I've got old kits from before the o rings were included).
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast