FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brake Calipers. Rebuild or replace?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Anyone know where I can get the o rings for between the front calipers without have to buy a whole kit (as I've got old kits from before the o rings were included).
    The original seals were square shaped "O" rings and most of the time they can be reused. No one sources the square ones anymore so if you have to replace them, any "O" ring that fits into the groove and will seal is good. Call the vendors and maybe one of them will "break" a kit and sell you just the "O" rings. Or you can go to someplace that has a big assortment and you can pick 2 out. Many large automotive stores will have a kit of assorted sizes to pick from.

As for those rotten looking things that once were calipers, after you get them disassembled they may not look so bad inside where it matters. You may have a LOT of trouble getting the old pistons out! The calipers don't have to be plated. Eastwood sells paints for them so if you can find a place that can sandblast them they may turn out looking good. When taking them apart try to save the small piece of brake tubing, soak it with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench before trying to undo the nuts, same for the bleeder screws, you really don't want to break them off if you can help it. Rebuild or replace the master cylinder and flush out the lines. You should probably be replacing the hoses too. Is the frame as bad as the calipers?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Is the frame as bad as the calipers?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Anyone know where I can get the o rings for between the front calipers without have to buy a whole kit.
    I have a rebuild kit with the O-Rings and can take measurements & pics if that helps. Also, RockAuto often has the kits with O-rings for a few bucks each ('77 Mercury Capri.)

Do they reall sell kits with the O-rings ?

The calipers were not meant to to be taken apart, therefore they used strange sized bolts and threads
    and the O-Rings could not be bought...until someone came up with regular fat round O-rings.

The kits I bought back then only came with new seals for the pistons.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Yes, I have a few for my rebuild.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The original seals were square shaped "O" rings and most of the time they can be reused. No one sources the square ones anymore so if you have to replace them, any "O" ring that fits into the groove and will seal is good. Call the vendors and maybe one of them will "break" a kit and sell you just the "O" rings. Or you can go to someplace that has a big assortment and you can pick 2 out. Many large automotive stores will have a kit of assorted sizes to pick from.

As for those rotten looking things that once were calipers, after you get them disassembled they may not look so bad inside where it matters. You may have a LOT of trouble getting the old pistons out! The calipers don't have to be plated. Eastwood sells paints for them so if you can find a place that can sandblast them they may turn out looking good. When taking them apart try to save the small piece of brake tubing, soak it with PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench before trying to undo the nuts, same for the bleeder screws, you really don't want to break them off if you can help it. Rebuild or replace the master cylinder and flush out the lines. You should probably be replacing the hoses too. Is the frame as bad as the calipers?
    I have to disagree on reusing the square seals as they are available and should not be reused IMHO.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post

The calipers were not meant to to be taken apart, therefore they used strange sized bolts and threads
    and the O-Rings could not be bought...until someone came up with regular fat round O-rings.

The kits I bought back then only came with new seals for the pistons.
    Although you're correct that most kits don't contain the front caliper housing o-rings until recently they were still available as a separate OEM supplier part and have been reproduced. The bolts are standard SAE 7/16" & 3/8" threads and can be plated or easily sourced. I have seen round o-rings leak and never use them in calipers.
    Rob

Anyone know where I can get the o rings for between the front calipers without have to buy a whole kit (as I've got old kits from before the o rings were included).
    We can supply those separately.
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2