FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Not charging. car runs till battery dies.

My VIN:    03572

You may have a broken connection on the battery light. When the key is on, one side of the battery light gets voltage with all the other lights. The alternator then grounds that brown/yellow wire which grounds the other side of the light and turns it on.

So your test is to ground that brown/yellow wire at the alternator plug and see if the light turns on. If it does then your alternator is not working. If still no light than you probably have a broken connection.

But with 14 volts holding on the battery, you are charging anyway.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    06097

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You may have a broken connection on the battery light. When the key is on, one side of the battery light gets voltage with all the other lights. The alternator then grounds that brown/yellow wire which grounds the other side of the light and turns it on.

So your test is to ground that brown/yellow wire at the alternator plug and see if the light turns on. If it does then your alternator is not working. If still no light than you probably have a broken connection.

But with 14 volts holding on the battery, you are charging anyway.
    I suspect I have a broken connection or simply the stupid socket is bad.. I cleaned all the contact on that thing, including all the fuses and relays too.

When the it was not charging the voltage meter on the DASH was below the 13, and going lower and lower as the battery drained when I put more load..

When I made the fix, the needle is slightly above the 13...and it holds steady.. Tried high beams, held steady and tried AC, held steady. Before the voltage would just drop...specially if I was to use AC...killed the engine.

Going to have the alternator connector replaced with a new one. the connector itself is loose in the socket...the pin is tight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2