FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Where to source idle screw(s)

My VIN:    SCEDT26T4DD016387

Club(s):   (DOA) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Where to source idle screw(s)

I was attempting to loosen the idle screw and it kinda broke. I'm referring to part nos. 102310 (screw) and 102557 (nut). I checked the DeLorean site and both are out of stock. Is there a Volvo part number for these? Where can I acquire a replacement (please don't tell me to get a M5 Screw, cut off the head and add a slot with a hacksaw.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You can try McMaster-Carr or find a store that has an assortment of metric allen screws. You should have loosened the nut before trying to turn the screw. You can use a metric bolt and you don't have to cut the head off. When adjusting that screw you must make sure the throttle plates are fully closed but NO MORE than that. Anymore will put a strain on the plate and shaft and eventually it will break. Best to take the W pipe off (#49) and the quadrant link (#25) and check your adjustment. Once set, you adjust the quadrant link and the other screw for the idle motor switch. The quadrant link is like a turnbuckle, it has a left-hand thread on one end and a right-hand thread on the other so you can male a very precise adjustment without taking either end off.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    SCEDT26T4DD016387

Club(s):   (DOA) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You can try McMaster-Carr or find a store that has an assortment of metric allen screws. You should have loosened the nut before trying to turn the screw. You can use a metric bolt and you don't have to cut the head off. When adjusting that screw you must make sure the throttle plates are fully closed but NO MORE than that. Anymore will put a strain on the plate and shaft and eventually it will break. Best to take the W pipe off (#49) and the quadrant link (#25) and check your adjustment. Once set, you adjust the quadrant link and the other screw for the idle motor switch. The quadrant link is like a turnbuckle, it has a left-hand thread on one end and a right-hand thread on the other so you can male a very precise adjustment without taking either end off.
    Actually, I did loosen the nut... but it's seized to the screw (the nut turned the screw too) and, when I tried to loosen it from the screw, that's when the screw driver bent and broke one side of the head.

I will look for an allen-head screw which is a better choice anyway.

Thanks for the advice.