FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Auto Trans Shifting Quickly

Only A Gibson Is Good Enough DeLorean937's Avatar

My VIN:    5712 - Ace Frehley's DMC

Club(s):   (DCF)

Auto Trans Shifting Quickly

So I've been reading day in and day out about our transmission computer and shifting control. I came across an article which says the car will switch gears in the higher RPMs. Is this something that the kickdown cable controls? It takes off in 1st but then switches from 2nd then 3rd very quickly. I have seen where people can rebuild there board using the new capacitors and repairing soldering joints but before I start tearing into it I was hoping to get some input.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean937 View Post
    So I've been reading day in and day out about our transmission computer and shifting control. I came across an article which says the car will switch gears in the higher RPMs. Is this something that the kickdown cable controls? It takes off in 1st but then switches from 2nd then 3rd very quickly. I have seen where people can rebuild there board using the new capacitors and repairing soldering joints but before I start tearing into it I was hoping to get some input.
    The shifting computer was one of the first things to go in my car which I tried repairing myself with new components but with very little success. Ultimately I ended up sending the unit to DMCH and they replaced the old board with a new, modern board and that fixed my sporadic shifting problems.

I also heard that low AT fluid can cause similar symptoms.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Low fluid will cause slipping when cold. Very low fluid will causing slipping all the time and the trans will be toast very quickly. This is probably a computer governor problem but it doesn't hurt to check fluid level, line pressure, and detent cable adjustment first as should be done when servicing it anyway. We also carry reconditioned governors FWIW.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Low fluid will cause slipping when cold. Very low fluid will causing slipping all the time and the trans will be toast very quickly. This is probably a computer governor problem but it doesn't hurt to check fluid level, line pressure, and detent cable adjustment first as should be done when servicing it anyway. We also carry reconditioned governors FWIW.
    Rob
    Sounds great! Rob, do you sell just the new boards alone so that I could install them? I will check the fluid level again but if remember correctly I changed it not to long ago and filled it to the correct level. As far as checking the line pressure would you be referring to the vacuum line to the front of the transmission? I have a new kickdown cable that I will install this weekend since the old one is cracked and see if I can adjust it to a point of correct shifting.

Sounds great! Rob, do you sell just the new boards alone so that I could install them? I will check the fluid level again but if remember correctly I changed it not to long ago and filled it to the correct level. As far as checking the line pressure would you be referring to the vacuum line to the front of the transmission? I have a new kickdown cable that I will install this weekend since the old one is cracked and see if I can adjust it to a point of correct shifting.
    No we only sell reconditioned CG's. There's too much to go wrong for the average DIY'er.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    No we only sell reconditioned CG's. There's too much to go wrong for the average DIY'er.
    Rob
    Ok that works. How much do the reconditioned units cost?

My VIN:    02613

The shift cable may be too loose. (I can't remember the official name for this cable. Sorry.) It's a very fine adjustment -- I think the Workshop Manual says within 3mm -- too loose and your shift points will be in very low RPMs, too tight and your shift points will be in the very high RPMs.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Ok that works. How much do the reconditioned units cost?
    PM sent.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Is this something that the kickdown cable controls?
    $.02

No...kickdown is handled by the microswitch mounted with the WOT microswitch. Both are supposed to be activated at full throttle.

The cable is a detent cable, as Rob mentioned. It requires ~0.3 mm clearance at the quadrant, as Farrar mentioned (actually 0.3mm - 0.5 mm, see WS Manual G:05:02 for procedure).
    +1 on other tests Rob mentioned before purchasing a GC.
    ...probably good to replace it if it is original anyway. The trans is not very forgiving at all with a bad GC!

My VIN:    02613

Thanks to Ron for correcting my lack of decimal point.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast