FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing old gas

My VIN:    5482

Removing old gas

Whats the best and/or easiest way to remove old gas from the gas tank? I'm thinking I can jump the rpm relay and use the fuel pump but thought I'd ask what others have done.
    Jeff

My VIN:    Early

You could do that, but you should check inside the tank for any debris first.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Possibly the best $14 I've ever spent is on one of these http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Produ...-10-LPM/312556

Couldn't say exactly where local you can let one, but anything like Home Depot or part source id think

My VIN:    4519

I used a siphon hose on both of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    You could do that, but you should check inside the tank for any debris first.
    Should have prefaced with the fact I've already cleaned and scrubbed the tank 1-1 1/2 years ago so that should be fine. I'm really just trying to refresh the current gas (1/4 tank full maybe at most). It's been in there roughly 1 year while I've been working through various fuel system issues. I figured it would be a good practice to get some newer gas before I flow it through new components.

I have a transfer pump but that was kind of a pain. I recall reading on here a while back someone who uses the fuel pump to drain the gas as part of their winterizing process. I guess my question is, where do you disconnect the line? The hose right off the pump at the front of the car or the line going into the filter or fuel distributor at the back?

Getting rid of old gas is a pain.
    Jeff

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

gas out of tank

Put a weighted tube to the bottom of the tank feeding into a container
    on the floor. Apply air pressure to the tank to start the siphon. Iv'e
    never done this but it sounds like it could work?....

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Jeff,

I pumped out 5 month old gas after my engine refresh was done. I disconnected the supply line at the fuel distributor, put it in an empty gas can, and jumpered the RPM gauge. Easy peasey. Instructions here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...the-tank-empty

I just ran the pump for 30 seconds at a time to be cautious.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Jeff,

I pumped out 5 month old gas after my engine refresh was done. I disconnected the supply line at the fuel distributor, put it in an empty gas can, and jumpered the RPM gauge. Easy peasey. Instructions here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...the-tank-empty

I just ran the pump for 30 seconds at a time to be cautious.
    Perfect. This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

When you disconnected the supply line at the fuel distributor, how did you get it into a gas can? My supply line is only long enough to connect between the filter and the fuel distributor. I was thinking about lifting the back of the car and taking off the left rear wheel.
    Jeff

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Perfect. This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

When you disconnected the supply line at the fuel distributor, how did you get it into a gas can? My supply line is only long enough to connect between the filter and the fuel distributor. I was thinking about lifting the back of the car and taking off the left rear wheel.
    You're welcome. My supply line is still original (near future project), so I had plenty of slack to put it in a 5 gallon can right above the AC compressor. I stuffed a rag around the opening to prevent splash/spillage. If your supply line is shorter, then I agree that you'll have to find another method.

Cheers,
    Dana
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    You're welcome. My supply line is still original (near future project), so I had plenty of slack to put it in a 5 gallon can right above the AC compressor. I stuffed a rag around the opening to prevent splash/spillage. If your supply line is shorter, then I agree that you'll have to find another method.

Cheers,
    Dana
    Well I was able to get this knocked out last night. I emptied the old gas using an empty 5 liter oil jug. I did filled it up a few times and transferred the old gas to an empty 5 gallon gas can. There was maybe 2-3 gallons in the DeLorean tank.

So what do you guys do with your old gasoline? I may be able to burn a small portion of it in my lawn mower but this has been an issue for me in the past.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast