FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried blacklight in dash?

Anyone tried blacklight in dash?

What bulb(s) size does the dash take and how do you get to them?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

You can use LED strips in blacklight colors. I did mine with a RGB strip and a small controller under the dash so I can mix any color and brightness along with my OE rheostat controls.

20140819_202108.jpgdash.jpg
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You can use LED strips in blacklight colors. I did mine with a RGB strip and a small controller under the dash so I can mix any color and brightness along with my OE rheostat controls.

20140819_202108.jpgdash.jpg
    That's brilliant.
    Where do you exactly put the LED strips? Do you have the part number? How did you wire it?
    Thank you in advance

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Thanks, I will do a write up on where to mount with pics. Basically, I pull the cluster apart, the led strips face up to the binnicle's light box, and the diffused light then bounces back down on the instruments. I tried it the other way but it was too harsh and too many shadows.

The strips are 12v so all I did was use a bulb wire from the HVAC panel (which is no longer used thanks to Dave's LED HVAC panel). The great thing is the controller is out of sight, easy o adjust and has a memory so whatever I leave it on stays that way even when I turn off the power.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I did the same thing as Michael. There's a write up somewhere on this board on how to do it. Definitely put them on the top of the cluster facing up to bounce the light in. I tried putting them over the holes facing down and they were too bright and also did not allow the option of just using stock lighting.

I bought my strip and controller as a kit at Auto Zone. Most auto parts stores have these though they're typically more expensive there than if you buy on-line.
    11428040_10206859656792977_1547313577350492525_n.jpg

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    07000

It'd be kinda cool if the all the numbers and letters were black light sensitive- thus you'd have the 80's arcade game look going on

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thanks, I will do a write up on where to mount with pics. Basically, I pull the cluster apart, the led strips face up to the binnicle's light box, and the diffused light then bounces back down on the instruments. I tried it the other way but it was too harsh and too many shadows.

The strips are 12v so all I did was use a bulb wire from the HVAC panel (which is no longer used thanks to Dave's LED HVAC panel). The great thing is the controller is out of sight, easy o adjust and has a memory so whatever I leave it on stays that way even when I turn off the power.
    That would be awesome Michael – thank you!
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Not black light but close. Some numbers have a glow kinda look with the blue leds. There is a total of 76 in the cluster, 19 x4 bulbs.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Ugh. That's dangerous as shit; all of those lights in that spectrum would absolutely murder your night vision.
    - Chris

what

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Nope. Not at all! Not glaring what so ever. The damn camera phone makes it brighter than it really is. I drive this alot at night and its total fine. You have to see it in person to see how it is.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast