FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What the hell is wrong with my car?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    The idler is the most common bearing failure on the D for sure but not usually with such a high pitched squeal. I've seen a lot of poor quality bearings in Delco alternators over the years do this however so if a Delco is involved here it would be my prime suspect.
    Rob
    My alternator just started squealing (bearings) and it is less than a year old!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

FWIW, the water pump belt flopping that much, just a couple inches away from the pulley, needs to be addressed...

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    FWIW, the water pump belt flopping that much, just a couple inches away from the pulley, needs to be addressed...
    I noticed that too and it was almost in time with the squealing bearing which could be another indicator of the cause of the problem.
    Rob

My VIN:    First 700

On your brake problem how old are your lines? Did the fluid in the reservoir go down after the hard stomp? Let it sit overnight and then stomp it and see if it goes down. Just give it the one hard stomp and not a pump. If there is air in there you don't want to foam it and make it look like more fluid. Did you bench bleed the new master before you put it in?

After letting it sit since the initial having to pump to get a firm peddle does it ever go back to normal peddle feel from just sitting?

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

That sounds like a ghost, or a sci-fi soundtrack from the 50's, featuring your typical theramin or ondes martenot instrument.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

The Delco Alternator rear bearing is a common one because the rear bearing seal is exposed to severe elements and often wiped down and there by pushing dirt and dust into the bearing. Same sort of thing with idler bearings - water and dirt, especially from washing engines pushes into the bearings.

My VIN:    First 700

If you are daring and like to poke at your engine whilst it is running you can use one of these to find what one is squeaking if you can't pinpoint it with just your ears. (Mechanic's Stethoscope) Some people use a long screwdriver and hold their ear to the handle end.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-640..._bs_15707551_1

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Flicky View Post
    If you are daring and like to poke at your engine whilst it is running you can use one of these to find what one is squeaking if you can't pinpoint it with just your ears. (Mechanic's Stethoscope) Some people use a long screwdriver and hold their ear to the handle end.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-640..._bs_15707551_1
    I've used both a stethoscope and a long screwdriver over the years and they can be very helpful but you need to know what you're listening for as they can be deceiving. Good suggestion however!
    Rob

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I've used both a stethoscope and a long screwdriver over the years and they can be very helpful but you need to know what you're listening for as they can be deceiving. Good suggestion however!
    Rob
    Also tie any long hair or necklaces up so that you don't get them caught in the belts while leaning over the engine.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Also tie any long hair or necklaces up so that you don't get them caught in the belts while leaning over the engine.
    Another trick is to squirt water at the suspected parts. Once the water hits, the squeal will go away. The safest way is to remove the belt and if the noise goes away it is something the belt turns. The idler bearings are the most likely suspect followed by the alternator and then the water pump. Rare but the A/C can be the source too. If the noise goes away when the compressor is running the bearing is bad on the compressor.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2