FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

My records show your car as an automatic -- is that correct? (There are nuanced differences between 5 speed and automatic conversions).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    2784

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    My records show your car as an automatic -- is that correct? (There are nuanced differences between 5 speed and automatic conversions).

Bill Robertson
    Yes, sir! It's an automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Bill: How are you liking the mechanical fuel pump? I've picked up two spare ones. It looks like they are NLA at autozone and rockauto.
    I need some more concrete fibers so I bought them from Amazon this time and added another fuel pump to reach $49 for free shipping. Somebody might want to use a mechanical pump in place of an electric pump. I'll also need a pump eventually for #2508.

How did you get from the tank to your pump? I repurposed the old K-Jet return line (capped off the old accumulator tee). That line is right next to the pump so it works great. The rubber fuel line I previously used has been attached to the tank vapor line, so my tank now vents from the front of the car to the back then back to the front (travels about 26 feet to end up inches from where it started).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

I need some more concrete fibers so I bought them from Amazon this time and added another fuel pump to reach $49 for free shipping. Somebody might want to use a mechanical pump in place of an electric pump. I'll also need a pump eventually for #2508.

How did you get from the tank to your pump? I repurposed the old K-Jet return line (capped off the old accumulator tee). That line is right next to the pump so it works great. The rubber fuel line I previously used has been attached to the tank vapor line, so my tank now vents from the front of the car to the back then back to the front (travels about 26 feet to end up inches from where it started).

Bill Robertson
    I used the return line on the fuel pump. Thus, I ran two new metal fuel lines from the tank, a 5/16 feed line and 1/4 return line between the driver's side frame rail and the underbody. I used a stock fuel pump boot with a canister type fuel filter in the location of the stock fuel pump. I found the filter which was the closest match to the diameter of the stock pump. The baffle is a modified spaghetti can that I braced and clamped to the fuel pump boot assembly. This allows the entire baffle and boot to drop-in as a single modular assembly, which was necessary because 5052's baffle retaining stud had rotted away in the old gas.

I've been running the mechanical pump for about 5,000 miles now with no problems.

Andrew

Payment

PM sent. Just let me know how you want payment.

Greg's conversion, ready to ship:

Attachment 42084

My UPS store won't insure it unless they box it, so it will be packed in the final big box by them (carb & manifold are already peanuted in the USPS box). Air filter lid is inside the Edelbrock box with the rest of the filter assembly. Everything else is in the McMaster bag.

I've added up all my current costs:

Attachment 42085

I am going to round it up to $1,225 because conversions that use throttle ball ends have an additional $20 cost (I have to buy a complete throttle cable just to get the plastic end).

It's still helluva good bargain. I sincerely doubt you could do an EFI conversion for $1,225.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I ran two new metal fuel lines from the tank, a 5/16 feed line and 1/4 return line between the driver's side frame rail and the underbody.
    ?

Carburetors do not typically have a return line. I've never seen one.

You don't really need a fuel tank baffle with a carburetor. Bowl holds about a mile worth of fuel (moderate RPM's) -- way more than enough to compensate for fuel sloshing around curves. I guess a baffle would be nice on a very long incline.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    PM sent. Just let me know how you want payment.
    Rain finally stopped this afternoon, so I built another concrete form and started filling/leveling it. I should be able to finish that and get to UPS for a shipping quote tomorrow (I'm shooting for a Wednesday pour).

Bill Robertson

Carburetor conversion

Rain finally stopped this afternoon, so I built another concrete form and started filling/leveling it. I should be able to finish that and get to UPS for a shipping quote tomorrow (I'm shooting for a Wednesday pour).

Bill Robertson
    Thanks for the update Bill

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing from you.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    6585

So we start with this low-quality bait which I ignored:

You know who the bad apples are. Their words speak for themselves.

Bill Robertson

When that didn't work at all to try and troll me, this one out of no where which I also ignored...

On the old .com site Robert accused me of hoarding the secrets of DeLorean carburetion. Now he has every single part number and its current cost -- there's absolutely nothing holding him back from doing his own conversion (or anyone else for that matter).

Bill Robertson

And then get this follow-up post to try and deliberately provoke:

<SNIP>

If Robert really wants to carburete his DeLorean, I've just given him a complete shopping list, down to the last nut and bolt. He will need to invest some sweat equity of his own.

Bill Robertson
    As usual whenever Bill isn't getting any attention, he throws a temper-tantrum like a little child until he gets noticed.

So, let us AGAIN set the record straight about what really went down between you and I. We'll start there, and eventually move on to why you're a liar.

First off was a few years ago when I was exploring carburetion and Bill and I spoke about it. The difference which split us was that I wanted to take carburetor conversions and move them into the realm of being a commonly acceptable modification to the DeLorean. The only downside to this would have been that Bill would have been cut out of the process entirely, save for appropriate credit where credit was due. That is quite honestly the long and short of it. Which you've got to ask yourself, why is that a big deal? Keep in mind this wasn't because I was wanting to sell kits. Not at all. I wanted proper documentation so that people could source the parts themselves, and have building plans they could take to their own independent welders, fabricators, etc. when necessary to complete the work that they themselves could not. And I wasn't even going to charge for this at all. There would have been no monetary gains for either of us.

You see, contrary to Bill's lie that I'm not willing to do any of this work myself by way of his little "sweat equity" jab, the truth of the matter is that I didn't want Bill's help at all. Not only did I never ask for it in terms of the physical installation, I even declined his implied offers of how he could drive out to Las Vegas and help me install a carb on my car. Which is actually quite contrary to the implications of Bill's statement, now isn't it?

As stated, my goal has always been to keep carburetor conversions in the public domain in order to help fellow owners who needed access to such information. This meant proper documentation and supplemental documents. From a complete how-to guide, to templates and instructions on how to cut and modify an existing K-Jetronic manifold to accept a carburetor where applicable. Perhaps even reaching out to Borla who since their purchasing of TWM Induction actually has the molds for a modular PRV V6 intake manifold that can accommodate a wide variety of fuel delivery systems from EFI, to triple-dual barrels, and even six individual single-barrel carbs like Alpine used.

But Bill never tells any of you guys that, does he? What he does go on and on about is how this is all just out of the goodness of his heart for "free". But is it free, really? Bill may not claim to be making any money off of this, but you can bet he sure as hell is profiting in other ways. Because since he's your source for all the information, he's now got you in his debt and he gains LOADS of personal attention and praise that he wouldn't otherwise have.

And that's what it's all about: Bill got pissed-off at me because if carburetors were commonly accepted mods, ones that we could all easily do on our own like I intended, Bill wouldn't have any place in your lives. No praise, no pity, just another random guy.

And what was Bill's reaction to all of this? Let's talk about that and the many phases of what the accusations were, what the subsequent arguments were, and what the next accusation was once that passed:
    1. Accusations of not being "smart" enough to know how to work on a carburetor.
    2. Accusations that K-Jetronic (and practically any other fuel injection) was unreliable.
    3. Accusations of being a "purist" that simply didn't want carburetors for the sake of preserving the originality of the car.
    4. Attacking the car itself. Calling the DMC-12 "stupid", as well as many other attacks and name calling of the car to try and then incite a fight.
    5. Trying to make fun of me for the length of my posts.
    6. Breaking down and just trying to whine about how everyone is sooooo unfairly picking on him.

The first thing to understand is that this also didn't just involve myself. Bill got as many other DeLorean owners as possible riled up to try and keep us fighting among one another. As each of his accusations against myself and others were vomited up, subsequent arguments invalidated Bill's statements, and of course Bill just repeated himself ad nauseam. Then when that failed, he turned against the moderators until he got banned. After that he drifted over to DMCToday where he went through the same process until he wore out his welcome over there as well.

And here you are back again, under a new screen name, trying to start up the same shit as you did before. But now you're trying to up the ante with lies to accuse me of not wanting to put the work in to complete a carburetor conversion. As though I had demanded that in the first place. Again, I never asked for such help, and even outright turned you down when you repeatedly offered it. Because I have no desire to be in your debt, nor to ask you for anything.

I mean hell, what if I had said yes, bought one of these kits off of you, and then we had a disagreement about something else? I'd totally be up creek without a paddle, wouldn't I?

And just think, anyone who does buy a kit from you is in that same, very precarious situation as well. Piss Bill off, and you're not only permanently screwed, but he's going to ridicule you publicly. Just like me.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast