FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    This is the only picture I have of Byrne's conversions. Rich in upstate New York has one so perhaps he can provide more pictures.

Attachment 42202

Bill Robertson
    The pics I have aren't much better than this one, I'll take some & post.

It runs good, but I don't think it looks as nice as yours. We also tried it on Andrew's car, it ran good on his also.

Not too sure what kind of problems Byrne is having. He just gave me a nebulous "it isn't running right". Wonder if it's that Made in China carburetor....

Bill Robertson

Steve's conversion ready for test driving:

SteveConversion.jpg

Bill Robertson

Carb conversion kit

Steve's conversion ready for test driving:

SteveConversion.jpg

Bill Robertson
    Hi Bill sent out check earlier this afternoon

Check

Me also bill, the check is in the mail. Thanks again.

Apparently Darren is planning to put his manifolds on a shelf.

Is anybody actually going to install these things?

Bill Robertson

To everybody who's all "Ooo Ooo -- I'll stick with K-Jet for now", consider this:

I installed and removed Steve's intake manifold three times this afternoon (wanted to try these latest manifolds with both normal O rings and the oversize O rings I used to use). Took me about 5 minutes each time. Every 15-20 minutes I was looking straight down into a bare intake valley.

K-Jetters make going into the intake valley sound like an arctic expedition. That's ridiculous. I can be into mine in a matter of minutes. Of course there's really no reason to go down there unless you're test driving intake manifolds (ignition distributor, clutch slave, heater core hoses, etc are accessible with the manifold in place), but if you all want to continue to work around K-Jet, knock yourselves out.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

Apparently Darren is planning to put his manifolds on a shelf.

Is anybody actually going to install these things?

Bill Robertson
    If KJet is running correctly, there's no reason for me to mess with it. The advantage to carburetion is that the conversion kit is cheaper than replacing a bunch of KJet parts. I mentioned earlier in this very thread that I wanted to get the kits as insurance for if/when the KJet system fails, as I plan on keeping our cars for a very long time. The conversion kits are about as expensive as a rebuilt fuel distributor and metering housing. If a product is offered and a customer willing to pay the asking price, what does it matter what the customer does with it?
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

It's like building an Apollo rocket but never going to the moon.

You all are free to do whatever you want. For my part, you will never hear me complain about difficulty accessing anything on my engine. Or wonder if hoses under my intake manifold are leaking (because of its open design Steve will be able to look into his intake valley with the manifold in place, assuming he actually puts the poor thing on his car...). There's a post on this forum somewhere about hugging your transmission and working by braille to change the slave cylinder -- that's crazy. My slave cylinder is totally exposed from above.

Among various advantages of carburetion, accessibility rates very high for me. The PRV was not designed for the K-Jet system it eventually inherited. Even the first K-Jet iteration (1975-1978 ) was very different from the installation most DeLorean owners know (fuel/air mixture unit was hung underneath a stool shaped intake manifold, leaving the distributor, water pump, hoses, etc exposed):

EarlyKJet1.jpg

Owners sometimes wonder why Douvrin designed the engine with its important parts buried. The answer is they didn't -- when the engine was first laid down important PRV bits either were exposed or readily accessible. Inaccessibility was a relatively late innovation.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 05-27-2016 at 12:05 AM.

There are other advantages, in addition to accessibility, of carburetion over K-Jet of course: safety, reliability, centralized/single point fuel metering (no leaking or bad spraying injectors), lower cost, no special tools necessary, wider availability of parts, fewer failure points, user reports of increased performance (somebody really needs to dyno one of these conversions), better known among 3rd party mechanics, etc.

Bill Robertson

Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast