FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by The Aviator View Post
    howdy howdy!! I haven't been on here in ages. took me about 20 minutes to crack my own password

I was curious if anyone has gone carbed with stage II cams? If so what are some key things to search for to read old threads with carbed Pvr's with cam upgrades?

where has time gone. glad to see everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To the best of my knowledge, there are no carb conversions that have been combined with reground cams (either on a Stage 2 upgraded engine or otherwise) However, as opposed to a forced induction system, I don't see any reason why reground cams couldn't be added to a carbed DeLorean.

A number of months ago, I did some research on the upgraded cams and decided to defer the mod unless I ever need to remove the engine and or heads. Between the Peugeot carb system, Volvo distributor, HEI and headers, 5052 produces enough power to make me happy :-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

The world is full of hot rodders running cammed up (and high compression) carbureted engines. They are Jegs' and Summit's core constituency. Same with super charging. And nitrous.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    3021

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    The world is full of hot rodders running cammed up (and high compression) carbureted engines. They are Jegs' and Summit's core constituency. Same with super charging. And nitrous.

Bill Robertson
    yes I know, what I should have said is has anyone put a 2100 on a stage 2 motor. I don't know if the 2100 is too small and if a 4 barrel would be required

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by The Aviator View Post
    yes I know, what I should have said is has anyone put a 2100 on a stage 2 motor. I don't know if the 2100 is too small and if a 4 barrel would be required

I don't know of any carbed Stage 2 motors. However, it would certainly be a fun mod to make. The Stage 2 mods would not change the carb requirements, which are determined by displacement and maximum RPM. Hence the 2100 should work fine on a Stage 2 engine.

With regard to a 4bbl carb, the Holley 390 is a confirmed workable carb on the PRV engine. Specifically, JL Engineering specializes in modifying Renault Alpine A310 manifolds (same as a Peugeot 604 manifold) to eliminate the dual Solex carbs and replace it with a Holley 390. However, most other 4bbl carbs would be too large for the PRV. By the way, JL Engineering requires a core Alpine / Peugeot manifold and their kit only includes the carb and modifications to the manifold.
    Last edited by Andrew; 06-03-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Biggest mistake people make is over carbureting their engines. In the case of a downdraft carburetor, all it knows is air passing through its venturis. That's what creates the pressure differential that makes carburetion possible in the first place. In the absence of forced induction or proper camshaft retiming, simply enlarging venturi size, or increasing their number, lowers airflow velocity, making the carburetor less efficient.

Irrespective, our little engines are only 174 cubic inches -- half the size of a Chevy 350. Even with forced induction there's no way they will ever come close to small block air flow, much less big block.

And they are low compression.

Carburetor pictures in Jegs and Summit are fun to look at, but I personally wouldn't consider putting a 4 barrel on a PRV.

The carburetors I provide are spec'd the same as 1970's 2.8 liter Mustang (Cologne V6). They are a good match to the PRV.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 06-03-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Greg's and James' conversions are in the mail. PM'd tracking numbers.

I'll get Steve's conversion boxed next week.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    2784

Club(s):   (DMA)

Greg's and James' conversions are in the mail. PM'd tracking numbers.

I'll get Steve's conversion boxed next week.

Bill Robertson
    Awesome! Sorry I've been quiet -- I must have missed my forum notification. I will PM you with address info and to arrange payment. Thanks!

My VIN:    3021

thanks guys for the advice! I didn't know if the cams wouldn't work with the 2100

I was lucky enough to grab a 604 Intake many many years ago. it's just been sitting on the shelf. I'm slowly gathering performance parts and come back on here to learn more about the carb conversion.

my new goal is to buy a used PRV and rebuild the whole thing, ported heads, stage 2 cams, convert to carb and be done

glad to see everyone is still around with the carbs. I know we take a lot of heat for it but it's honestly my cheapest and easiest way out

There is nothing magical about the 2100. It is an incredibly simple carburetor, with extremely few parts (replacements for which are readily available from multiple sources), but any suitably sized downdraft carb would work.

I like to use 2100's for my fabricated manifolds because their footprint fits the central plenum block perfectly. It's almost as though they were destined to be mated together (and size of the central plenum block can't be changed because it fits the elbows and runners perfectly). Everything fell right into place when I first started making manifolds in 2008, which is why I still use the same design to this day.

Peugeot 604 manifold is footprinted for Solex carburetors only (two of them -- one 1 barrel and one 2 barrel). Nothing else will bolt up without adapter plates(s). To the best of my knowledge there are no ready made adapter plates for Solex carburetors (I make my adapter plates myself -- they are custom units).

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 06-03-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Carburetor conversion

There is nothing magical about the 2100. It is an incredibly simple carburetor, with extremely few parts (replacements for which are readily available from multiple sources), but any suitably sized downdraft carb would work.

I like to use 2100's for my fabricated manifolds because their footprint fits the central plenum block perfectly. It's almost as though they were destined to be mated together (and size of the central plenum block can't be changed because it fits the elbows and runners perfectly). Everything fell right into place when I first started making manifolds in 2008, which is why I still use the same design to this day.

Peugeot 604 manifold is footprinted for Solex carburetors only (two of them -- one 1 barrel and one 2 barrel). Nothing else will bolt up without adapter plates(s). To the best of my knowledge there are no ready made adapter plates for Solex carburetors (I make my adapter plates myself -- they are custom units).

Bill Robertson
    Thanks again Bill

Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast