FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

Is the Peugeot manifold optimal? No, for a variety of reasons (for example I have to use early model 2100's with integrated choke pulloffs for distributor clearance). They also have no place to mount a throttle cable bracket, so I have to make a complicated assembly that hangs off the back of the adapter plate.

Does a Peugeot manifold work? Yes. At least two of them are in DeLorean service using their original dual Solex setups (BTW: one barrel carb enters the common plenum right in front of the two barrel venturis -- it doesn't feed cylinders directly adjacent to it), four of them are in service using my 2100 adaptation -- next week that number goes up to six -- and an owner with a foreign accent (whose name I can't remember -- I think he was from Georgia) brought a Holley equipped one to one of Darren Decker's gatherings.

I fully admit I prefer centrally located carburetors, so that's how I designed the intake manifolds I make myself (Volvo manifold on the left, fabricated on the right):

FabricatedVsVolvoManifold2.jpg

Unfortunately Peugeot (and Renault) did not consult me before making their manifolds, so I have to work with what they came up with instead.

Greg and James had the option to choose fabricated manifolds. Supply permitting I am more than happy to swap them out later. But perhaps we should at least wait for the UPS boxes to show up before pronouncing judgment on their conversions.

I test drove both of them on my own car no problem, but there is rumor afoot that I don't know what I am doing....

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    an owner with a foreign accent (whose name I can't remember -- I think he was from Georgia) brought a Holley equipped one to one of Darren Decker's gatherings.
    His name might have been Marcel.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Is the Peugeot manifold optimal? No, for a variety of reasons (for example I have to use early model 2100's with integrated choke pulloffs for distributor clearance). They also have no place to mount a throttle cable bracket, so I have to make a complicated assembly that hangs off the back of the adapter plate.

Does a Peugeot manifold work? Yes. At least two of them are in DeLorean service using their original dual Solex setups (BTW: one barrel carb enters the common plenum right in front of the two barrel venturis -- it doesn't feed cylinders directly adjacent to it), four of them are in service using my 2100 adaptation -- next week that number goes up to six -- and an owner with a foreign accent (whose name I can't remember -- I think he was from Georgia) brought a Holley equipped one to one of Darren Decker's gatherings.

I fully admit I prefer centrally located carburetors, so that's how I designed the intake manifolds I make myself (Volvo manifold on the left, fabricated on the right):

FabricatedVsVolvoManifold2.jpg

Unfortunately Peugeot (and Renault) did not consult me before making their manifolds, so I have to work with what they came up with instead.

Greg and James had the option to choose fabricated manifolds. Supply permitting I am more than happy to swap them out later. But perhaps we should at least wait for the UPS boxes to show up before pronouncing judgment on their conversions.

I test drove both of them on my own car no problem, but there is rumor afoot that I don't know what I am doing....

Bill Robertson
    I can attest to the fact that the Peugeot manifolds work. Actually I think there are 3 Solex systems in operation,mine and 2 others. The biggest drawback to the Peugeot system are the Solex carbs themselves, not the manifolds. This is why many 604 and Alpine A310 owners have opted to replace the Solex system with a 2bbl Weber or 4 bbl Holley 390 in place of the 2 bbl Solex. Like your 2100 conversions, the Weber and Holley conversions all entail blocking off the single bbl opening.

This is how a Peugeot manifold is laid out internally:

Peugeot604RoutedOut.jpg Peugeot604RoutedOut2.jpg

Everybody's all "Ooo Ooo" over long intake runners -- for cylinders 1 and 4 (Peugeot orientation is 1 barrel to the rear) mixture travels the length of the manifold, makes a U turn, then runs all the way back the other direction.

Mesmerizes me that forum members who complain loudest about carburetion don't even use it. They're like virgins stamping their feet and insisting that sex is no good.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    This is why many 604 and Alpine A310 owners have opted to replace the Solex system with a 2bbl Weber
    In the old .com days an owner named Del Silviera had a DeLorean with a Peugeot manifold and a Weber adapter plate welded on. He never could get the Weber to perform correctly. I made him a Weber to 2100 adapter plate and rebuilt a 2100 for him. When he eventually sold the car he reported that the common Ford carburetor was a positive selling point (he lived in remote British Columbia).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    3021

hey bill, can you post some pictures of how you plug the stock injector holes?

my plan is to find a donor engine and rebuild it. while the heads are off ( or I buy stage 2 heads) I was thinking of threading the injector ports and plugging them with a threaded plug. I do this on the vacuum port on the back of the 302's

I don't know if there's enough meat to thread the ports. and I remember you had a way of plugging them but forgot exactly what and how you did it

mind sharing some pics of your technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a very tight fit -- you have to use a socket and extension to press them in.

Bill Robertson

aaahh so the bolt threads in like the injector?!

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

No, they just press in. From what I remember, it's just the shank of the bolt, no thread.

Mine were fairly easy to push in, just pressed in with my finger.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    No, they just press in. From what I remember, it's just the shank of the bolt, no thread.

Mine were fairly easy to push in, just pressed in with my finger.
    and that washer has little arms on then "locking" then onto the lip of the port?.

Page 44 of 67 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast