FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

My VIN:    REDACTED

Sent a PM, Bill. Thanks!
    Kolin Brown
    El Presidente
    Indiana DeLorean Motor Club

VIN 3513 (I think), 1.9L VW TDI (ALH) swap, UN1 trans, mechanical injection, Holset HE200WG turbo, Certified Shitbox
    Find me on Tubi! Rally North America

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry S. Truman

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Kolin, you should do a write up on your carb conversion! What manifold, carb and fuel pump options did you go with?
    Were there any complications in the conversion and what are your thoughts regarding the results?

Thanks,

Andrew

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Kolin, you should do a write up on your carb conversion! What manifold, carb and fuel pump options did you go with?
    Were there any complications in the conversion and what are your thoughts regarding the results?

Thanks,

Andrew
    +1

...I saw Kolin's video on Facebook and I'm interested to know about his setup.

My VIN:    REDACTED

Well, first off for fuel delivery....
    I had attempted to use a bypass regulator and send a 5 psi line back, and return the rest to the tank...didnt quite work out so well. I ended up using an externally mounted Airtex low pressure pump, still have some work to do with the pickup/baffle assembly. Works well though, and I should be able to swap fuel pumps in about 5 minutes should the need arrive.

The manifold is a "Peugeot" manifold, although my source (Scotland) said it came from an Alpine, so I'm presuming they are the same style...I made a little block-off plate for the front carb...the manifold originally used a coolant line, so i cut that barb down flush with the manifold for aesthetics. I'm very picky about the look of things, I hope that is evident.

I scored a lot of 3 1.08 venturi Motorcraft 2100 carbs off a classic for forum for $80, that was nice...another $18 for a rebuild kit. I jetted my carb at .047. I cant remember the size of power valve at the moment. I was able to trace the original footprint of the solex carb from the manifold, and overlay a 2100 mounting gasket to make a template for a 1" carb spacer (https://m.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2137) and was able to use a drill press and a milling bit to recess the bolt head into the spacer to make a flush mounting surface for the 2100 carb...unfortunately I didn't think to take pics of that process.

I'm not quite done with the hose routing...I'm considering a blue anodized catch can, that way I'm not dumping oil vapors back into the manifold...

The throttle bracket is literally $2.50 worth of hardware from Lowe's, nothing really special. I'm still working on the choke apparatus...I wanted a manual choke instead of an auto or electric, personal preference. I'll make a spreadsheet of costs involved and post later...

Thanks for your interest, guys...and thanks to the guys that have already done this and helped me along the way... Steve Rice, Chad Krause... and of course to my local buds Jason Sharkey and Rick Vermillion (mainly for not laughing at me to my face for wanting to do this!)

I'll try to answer any questions if there are any!

14114747_10157257511300176_954684511_o.jpg14113980_10157260687390176_331748545_o.jpg12998528_10156765190220176_2485908307656738486_n.jpg
    Kolin Brown
    El Presidente
    Indiana DeLorean Motor Club

VIN 3513 (I think), 1.9L VW TDI (ALH) swap, UN1 trans, mechanical injection, Holset HE200WG turbo, Certified Shitbox
    Find me on Tubi! Rally North America

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by kbrown84 View Post
    Well, first off for fuel delivery....
    I had attempted to use a bypass regulator and send a 5 psi line back, and return the rest to the tank...didnt quite work out so well. I ended up using an externally mounted Airtex low pressure pump, still have some work to do with the pickup/baffle assembly. Works well though, and I should be able to swap fuel pumps in about 5 minutes should the need arrive.

The manifold is a "Peugeot" manifold, although my source (Scotland) said it came from an Alpine, so I'm presuming they are the same style...I made a little block-off plate for the front carb...the manifold originally used a coolant line, so i cut that barb down flush with the manifold for aesthetics. I'm very picky about the look of things, I hope that is evident.

I scored a lot of 3 1.08 venturi Motorcraft 2100 carbs off a classic for forum for $80, that was nice...another $18 for a rebuild kit. I jetted my carb at .047. I cant remember the size of power valve at the moment. I was able to trace the original footprint of the solex carb from the manifold, and overlay a 2100 mounting gasket to make a template for a 1" carb spacer (https://m.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2137) and was able to use a drill press and a milling bit to recess the bolt head into the spacer to make a flush mounting surface for the 2100 carb...unfortunately I didn't think to take pics of that process.

I'm not quite done with the hose routing...I'm considering a blue anodized catch can, that way I'm not dumping oil vapors back into the manifold...

The throttle bracket is literally $2.50 worth of hardware from Lowe's, nothing really special. I'm still working on the choke apparatus...I wanted a manual choke instead of an auto or electric, personal preference. I'll make a spreadsheet of costs involved and post later...

Thanks for your interest, guys...and thanks to the guys that have already done this and helped me along the way... Steve Rice, Chad Krause... and of course to my local buds Jason Sharkey and Rick Vermillion (mainly for not laughing at me to my face for wanting to do this!)

I'll try to answer any questions if there are any!
    Nice, clean install!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kbrown84 View Post
    I'm very picky about the look of things, I hope that is evident.

My VIN:    4519

Looking good!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Looking good!
    +1 Nice and clean!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    2784

Club(s):   (DMA)

Hey Bill (or anyone else who knows);

The fuel pump you provide in your kit doesn't seem to come with a filter that goes on the tank end of it. There's the soup-can baffle which I installed in my tank, but do I need to put a filter on the tank end of the pump?

Attached is a picture of what I'm talking about

fuel-filter-screen-original.jpg

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

It should look something like this.

SANY0873.jpg
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 62 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast