FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: prv--carbed--running on ehgine run stand---no coolant flow????

prv--carbed--running on ehgine run stand---no coolant flow????

anyone ever ran a PRV engine on a run test stand--I am in the middle of doing this, but having coolant flow problems-----need advice or ideas from someone who has done this. THANKS

Have no help for you, but am very interested in what you?re doing. Care to give us the cliffs?

prv carbed on engine test stand

engine is from 2126 which I removed several years ago and replaced with a sb chevy---prv was carbed for several years in the car and ran very well---so I finally decided to get the engine running on my run stand, and possibly offer it for sale---got it running, still runs, starts fine, but no coolant flow???my test stand has an aluminum downflow rad with a large electric fan with a shroud---other engines I have tested on this stand cooled fine,so I dont have rad problems but----start engine cold, thermastat opens, top rad hose and top half of rad gets hot, but no coolant flow from bottom of rad back to engine. The top rad hose is connected to the drivers side connection at the water pump---the bottom rad hose is connected to the passenger side connection at the water pump---heater hose outlet at rear of drivers side head is connected to the y pipe return to the water pump-----no coolant flow thru rad back to engine ??? advice , opinions???

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by leroylem View Post
    engine is from 2126 which I removed several years ago and replaced with a sb chevy---prv was carbed for several years in the car and ran very well---so I finally decided to get the engine running on my run stand, and possibly offer it for sale---got it running, still runs, starts fine, but no coolant flow???my test stand has an aluminum downflow rad with a large electric fan with a shroud---other engines I have tested on this stand cooled fine,so I dont have rad problems but----start engine cold, thermastat opens, top rad hose and top half of rad gets hot, but no coolant flow from bottom of rad back to engine. The top rad hose is connected to the drivers side connection at the water pump---the bottom rad hose is connected to the passenger side connection at the water pump---heater hose outlet at rear of drivers side head is connected to the y pipe return to the water pump-----no coolant flow thru rad back to engine ??? advice , opinions???
    There was a post a long time ago of a water pump that somehow did not cast properly and no coolant could flow.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Did you bleed both the engine (at the bleed valve next to the pump) and the radiator/piping?

Are you sure?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

prv carbed running on enginerun stand - no coolant flow

I have also known of water pump failures where the impeller becomes loose or detached from the shaft---perhaps that may be the problem here---however, the pump seems to be working as the top hose from the w pump gets hot, as well as the top of the rad . However, the engine has not ran in several years--guess I will pull the pump & hoses,and check things out. At least the engine is running well. Thanks for your input.