FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    If you live in an area that doesn't require emissions testing, you're fine using a carb. But if your area DOES require testing, or if you even have the possibility of relocating to an area that does require testing, you absolutely shouldn't get involved with a carburetor. In California and Nevada for example, after they enter your VIN into the system to conduct your smog check, the very first thing that they do is pop the hood (or in our cases engine covers) and look for this:

VacuumDiagram.jpg

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    DML is still alive & kicking. It started as an eMail digest, and that is still an option, but people accustomed to online forum formats would probably prefer accessing the DML via its Yahoo interface (not 100% identical to an online forum, but reasonably close): https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dmcnews/info

Bill Robertson
    I never said the DML is gone. What I said was that it was apart of the DeLorean community's evolving online presence.

The DML isn't an email digest. That is merely how it was setup pre-e-groups (which was acquired by Yahoo! later on) in a form of it's original USENET format of threads. A topic was posted, and then all replies were submitted to create individual threads. Subscription options via e-mail were either in multiple real-time individual message throughout the day, or a daily summary which was the digest. But it has always remained a Mailing List, and not a digest.

Since USENET access required more technical know-how to access (less after Eternal September, but some still needed), that was a contributing factor as to why so many DeLorean owners were so technical to begin with, and helped go a VERY long way into organizing the shared data, and ultimately the community to this very day. Most of our growing pains were long sorted out before other marques even thought about maintaining message boards.

Except for a handful of people that keep recycling the same discord and chaos over and over again...
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

You have 2100's. All my Peugeot manifold conversions use 2100's.

Only differences between 2100 and 2150:
    - 2150 has external choke pulloff (some 2100's have external pulloffs as well, but I only use 2100's with integrated pulloffs for ignition distributor clearance)
    - 2150 throttle plates sit in recesses in the throttle shaft rather than slots
    - 2150's have variable air bleeds (baseball bat shaped rods raised and lowered by a cam on the throttle shaft)

Bill Robertson

Thank you Bill. Now we can get somewhere and make progress in 'making amends'.

One thing holding me up is this damn broken foot due to a fall at Camelbacks indoor waterpark last Saturday. And I'm replacing ignition components to isolate the problem but I don't know how to do the duraspark module so I'll use my oem one, I hope that isn't an issue.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

VacuumDiagram.jpg

Bill Robertson
    Yep, that is tampering, and highly illegal as all hell too. You are defeating the emissions control devices that the DMC-12 came equipped with, AND on top of that you're forging EPA-approved labels, and they can come after you for that.

https://www.fbi.gov/lasvegas/press-r...-forged-labels

I'm telling you, Bill, you're playing with fire on this. What you are posting online is admissible in court as evidence against you. And just because you're some small-time guy running this business out of your home, that doesn't mean that you're immune because you're too small to go after. You're risking allot here, and neither good intentions nor ignorance of the law will grant you immunity.
    Robert

Smile

Oh and Bill in my case, helping me in person wasn't the issue. It was more of an issue that you werent around when I put the replacement carb on and the fact that I asked you to diagnose it from states away.
    I'm not saying you are to blame for not being there when I swapped carbs, I didn't expect you to come to me for that, but it is probably somethingyou could have remedied immediately with your knowledge and with the turn of a screwdriver, or if I can quote bill correctly 'a dime', as far as the mixture screw goes . And I know that's only an idle adjustment, that much I do know. And it's from listening to you!
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    I'm telling you, Bill, you're playing with fire on this.
    With Duke Power pouring coal ash into all our rivers, I think the EPA has bigger concerns.

If deviating from stock configuration poses a moral dilemma, by all means do not convert your car to carburetion. That certainly is a consideration to factor, alongside carburetion's other pros and cons.

Bill Robertson

With Duke Power pouring coal ash into all our rivers, I think the EPA has bigger concerns.

If deviating from stock configuration poses a moral dilemma, by all means do not convert your car to carburetion. That certainly is a consideration to factor, alongside carburetion's other pros and cons.

Bill Robertson
    Well said Bill !
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

I have learned my lesson: in the future I will sell parts only -- it's up to buyers to know what they are doing.
    Speaking of which: When DMCH sells you a water pump, they assume you know what to do with they thing. Unless there's something wrong with the pump itself, if an owner screws up his water pump install, that isn't Houston's fault.
    And there is your big problem, Bill. You see, there is one HUGE difference between DMCH and you. And it's this right here:

DMCH has a Workshop Manual that you can acquire from them to know how to work on the car. It gives instructions, tool recommendations, specific parts lists, and best of all exact specifications for you to tune your car. Car maintenance and repair isn't an art in the least. Just follow the directions, and you're done. But you don't have any directions at all. In your scenario, DMCH can easily sell you a water pump with no problem because if you don't know how to install it, they have a Workshop Manual that explains to you how to do it. Hell, they even have a fully licenced garage to perform the work for you if you so request it.

You on the other hand are selling "kits" and then leaving people high and dry. You don't educate them on their purchases before hand, and now you want to offer minimal support after. I'm sure that if DMCH sold someone some parts, and when that person called back with questions a DMCH rep on the other end berated them for not being smart enough to know how to do the work, they'd probably be in the same boat as you are right now with angry people.

Simply put, DMCH doesn't have the problems that you do, because they didn't create the problems that you created.
    Robert

This is getting ridiculous.

You act as if I invented carburetion, or as if I was the first person ever to put a carburetor on a car.

I make intake manifolds, same as Edelbrock and Weiand. When you buy an Edelbrock intake manifold the thing shows up in a box. Edelbrock assumes you know how to bolt it on.

Same with the carb. When you buy a rebuilt carb from Champion or Nation Rebuilders, it shows up in a box. They assume you know how to bolt it on.

On the old .com you complained very loudly that I wasn't providing step by step illustrated instructions. That's not my target audience. If you don't know how to bolt down an intake manifold, please don't buy anything from me.

Bill Robertson

I rebuild carburetors that were previously installed on Ford or AMC automobiles:
    a) Somebody bolted the carb on when it was new
    b) Somebody unbolted the carb before selling it to me
    c) Somebody maintained or repaired the carb as necessary between a) and b)

I assure you: I did not invent carburetion, nor am I the first person ever to work with it.

Bill Robertson

Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast