FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    I have assisted 18 owners to date. Only two of them are complaining, one of whom extols his carburetor and posts video that shows it working normally (problems he has with me are personal, not carb related).

Only one person is having problems, which most likely are self induced (this owner was running more than 20 volts through his electrical system when I first met him, yet stubbornly refuses to swap out what may well be a damaged ignition ECU. Pickup coil in the distributor could also be damaged. You can't run 20 plus volts though your electrical system without *SOME* repercussions).

By the numbers I have a 95% success rate.

In school they would give me an "A".

Bill Robertson
    I like the school analogy Bill.
    I would give you an A for your vast knowledge but I'd have to call your parents or have you serve detention for behavior.

I would like to make amends and at least be civil to each other from now on .....Peace?

I AM replacing ignition components to give you the benefit of the doubt but I don't know how to make a duraspark adapter and I don't think you would like to help by making the adapter for me... Or am I wrong on that?

Let's shake computers and make up.

We cannot forget our experiences but maybe we can start with a clean slate?
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    If you're speaking of a "block-off plate" to just leaving the canister connected without any way to purge itself, that is HIGHLY dangerous.

Fuel tanks build pressure up from residual heat (usually exhaust lines, but in our cases the water pipes next to the tank do quite nicely), and that pressure has to have somewhere to go. Meaning it will leak out through either the gas cap, or the fuel sending unit. Best of all will be the fact that thanks to the pressure differential, if you use a pickup hose with the pump it's going to collapse. Which leads to noisy fuel pumps, low fuel pressure, and best of all a shortened lifespan of that pump since it's being starved so bad. Worst of all will be those leaking gas fumes which are as much of a danger in a garage with a furnace or a water heater as they are for someone driving when those fumes all get sucked into the engine compartment.

Going over everything we've covered with this just being the latest of items, are you really making everyone aware of the hazards & risks involved with your kits?
    Oh please.

A solid piece of plastic is a solid piece of plastic -- no hoses in or out. If you block off the charcoal canister opening it is physically impossible to attach anything (I guess an owner could drill a hole in the blockoff plate, but in such instance why not simply leave the factory plate in place?).

Charcoal canister mounts to the factory plate anyway -- if you throw the plate away there's nothing to attach the canister to (unless an owner decides to just let it rattle around loose inside the pontoon -- again preposterous).

Your incessant trolling is becoming quite tiresome.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 03-15-2016 at 11:43 AM.

Just to add, in Bill's defense and I know that sounds strange coming from me,

I was soooo pleased with my cars peugot setup. The car was screaming fast. The issue I am having is most probably a tweaking adjustment issue or a swapped carb component issue (mentioned the full throttle enrichment valve was on one but not the other) and could have been easily fixed in a matter of minutes if Bill was there to try it out and experience for himself and make the adjustments or changes himself. Being that I am a total dumb ass when it comes to carbs, I AM hesitant to mess with it but I gotta get up the nerve and try.
    I DO wish I had Bill's help with this problem.
    I am satisfied with his product as far as the equipment goes. I just had a falling out which I was mostly to blame for since I let myself get out of hand online.

Bill, can we please be civil and get back to a talking basis with mutual respect?
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    Haha agreed.

There are plenty of resources out there to help people learn how to tune a carburetor. If someone is putting a carburetor on their car, common sense would say to learn how to operate and adjust it properly.
    There are guides, and yet no one follows them. Tons and tons of people will swear up and down that you need only listen to an engine in order to "tune it by ear" which is clearly wrong. You NEED to analyze the exhaust gas. If you could tune it by ear, equipment manufacturers would have sold aural-based equipment with microphones instead of gas probes. So there again is yet another aspect of a carb conversion which I didn't even cover yet. How to actually tune a carburetor properly. And unlike your inaccurate information, it involves much more than just setting everything up at idle speeds.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...g-tips-tricks/

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    Figuring out the vacuum hose routing for a carburetor shouldn't be difficult either.

Assuming the parts are functioning correctly, if you can't bolt down an intake manifold, bolt on the carb, and set the idle mixture and speed, you probably shouldn't be running a carburetor (or should research and figure out how ).
    If this is a kit, that means that there should be instructions to go along with it rather than a "just figure it out for yourself" attitude. Example: When DMCH came out with their Stage II engines, I asked the very same questions directly about how someone is supposed to tune one of these new engines in the future. The response I received was that you need only follow the adjustment instructions inside of the Workshop Manual. The same specs one tuning the engines are interchangeable. So they already had all of this information figured out before their product was delivered to market. Unlike this "kit" being offered.

Which of course means that as we've seen with Lou, there is no support for any of these carb conversions once they have been completed. And you can laugh at me, and try and keep up this elitist attitude all you want, but I guarantee you that I'm asking the very same questions that many others have. And the answers we've all received certainly are NOT encouraging ones.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

The purpose of this thread is to keep owners waiting for carb conversions updated on progress.

Would everyone please stop polluting it with extraneous posts.

This is a progress thread -- period.

If you have any other comments or concerns, please post them in appropriate threads (there already is an "ask about carburetion thread).

Thank you in advance for keeping DMCTalk neat and tidy.

Bill Robertson

In defense of Rob,

Although Robert's inquiry questions go seem aggravating, he does have good points that SOME owners may need to be aware of, especially thise in the smog state of California where the lawn mowers need catalytic converters. Kidding about the lawn mowers guys! But I think Robert is trying to open the information so everyone can educate fully when weighing the options.

But you see my point?

I am NOT trolling Bill.

I may have in the past on Today and even here with my "Tietlebaums" question. But I see how that's not fair and I have turned over a new leaf and I am trying to make amends.
    Peace Bill? Friends or at least civil again?
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    There are guides, and yet no one follows them. Tons and tons of people will swear up and down that you need only listen to an engine in order to "tune it by ear" which is clearly wrong. You NEED to analyze the exhaust gas. If you could tune it by ear, equipment manufacturers would have sold aural-based equipment with microphones instead of gas probes. So there again is yet another aspect of a carb conversion which I didn't even cover yet. How to actually tune a carburetor properly. And unlike your inaccurate information, it involves much more than just setting everything up at idle speeds.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...g-tips-tricks/

If this is a kit, that means that there should be instructions to go along with it rather than a "just figure it out for yourself" attitude. Example: When DMCH came out with their Stage II engines, I asked the very same questions directly about how someone is supposed to tune one of these new engines in the future. The response I received was that you need only follow the adjustment instructions inside of the Workshop Manual. The same specs one tuning the engines are interchangeable. So they already had all of this information figured out before their product was delivered to market. Unlike this "kit" being offered.

Which of course means that as we've seen with Lou, there is no support for any of these carb conversions once they have been completed. And you can laugh at me, and try and keep up this elitist attitude all you want, but I guarantee you that I'm asking the very same questions that many others have. And the answers we've all received certainly are NOT encouraging ones.
    I would have continued to have support if I didn't start trolling Bill. Understandably he decided not to help me. I have to respect that and live with it.

I regret posting my issue online after but gearing back from Bill, but I was seeking help .

Sorry it came to this Bill. I truly apologize.
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

The purpose of this thread is to keep owners updated on carb conversion progress.

If you have any other comments or concerns, please post them in appropriate threads.

Thank you in advance for keeping DMCTalk neat & tidy.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    6585

Your incessant trolling is becoming quite tiresome.

Bill Robertson
    No Bill, this isn't trolling at all. This is simply a demonstration of Critical Thinking in action.

Just because you are uncomfortable with the questions doesn't mean that I'm trolling. That's not how trolling works at all.

I have asked you multiple questions about different things to which you have mostly ignored. These are all legitimate questions about real concerns that anyone who is considering a carbureator conversion in general should be asking. Especially when the very scenario I warned you about years ago of abandoned owners with no where to turn are now suddenly coming to pass. When I have had a concern, I have also provided verified sources whenever possible.

Your responses back have as previously stated been to ignore the question, or to try and bait me into an argument. Usually with the underlying tone that I'm apparently not smart enough for Carburetion, or your typical martyrdom ploy. Now that is trolling.

If you feel that I am somehow trolling with you and that my input on this thread has absolutely no value to your potential customers, then I wholeheartedly invite you to involve the moderators in on this.

The purpose of this thread is to keep owners updated on carb conversion progress.

If you have any other comments or concerns, please post them in appropriate threads.

Bill Robertson
    No it's not, Bill. The entire purpose of this thread is for you to sell Carburetor Conversion Kits. You said that in your very first post to this thread. You're selling something, and I have questions. It's not my fault you can't answer them.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Bill Robertson
    Point taken.

Will do!

P.S. Duraspark ?
    Last edited by Lou and "Boo"; 03-15-2016 at 12:22 PM.
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast