FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    There are guides, and yet no one follows them. Tons and tons of people will swear up and down that you need only listen to an engine in order to "tune it by ear" which is clearly wrong. You NEED to analyze the exhaust gas. If you could tune it by ear, equipment manufacturers would have sold aural-based equipment with microphones instead of gas probes. So there again is yet another aspect of a carb conversion which I didn't even cover yet. How to actually tune a carburetor properly. And unlike your inaccurate information, it involves much more than just setting everything up at idle speeds.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...g-tips-tricks/
    There is no way you're not trolling.

I said for people to learn how to tune a carburetor properly, and you accuse me of giving "inaccurate information." Please kindly leave this thread and take your trolling elsewhere.

To keep this on topic, I'm happy to hear the carb kits are almost completed. People can have an opinion of Bill one way or another, but making the manifolds (and various other bits) is helpful since PRV carbureted manifolds aren't common. I'm planning to get the Pugeot manifolds based on my driving style, but there are still parts for adapting the carb to that manifold and other parts that I'm thankful that Bill makes.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    There is no way you're not trolling.

I said for people to learn how to tune a carburetor properly, and you accuse me of giving "inaccurate information." Please kindly leave this thread and take your trolling elsewhere.
    That wasn't trolling in the least bit. I provided factual information as a rebuttal against your inaccurate advice of how to tune a carburetor. Again, your disagreeing with me doesn't automatically equal trolling on my part. I have pointed out faults when the appear in the hopes that they would be addressed. And like my response to you here, I am actually responding and addressing your concern accordingly. Clarification is my goal, not angering anyone.

Furthermore, as I said to Bill, if you have a problem with someone questioning things, and in the process you feel that it is a violation of forum rules, speak with the moderators.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

That wasn't trolling in the least bit. I provided factual information as a rebuttal against your inaccurate advice of how to tune a carburetor. Again, your disagreeing with me doesn't automatically equal trolling on my part. I have pointed out faults when the appear in the hopes that they would be addressed. And like my response to you here, I am actually responding and addressing your concern accordingly. Clarification is my goal, not angering anyone.

Furthermore, as I said to Bill, if you have a problem with someone questioning things, and in the process you feel that it is a violation of forum rules, speak with the moderators.
    Reread my post. I never told anyone how to tune a carburetor. I didn't say to tune it by ear, by using engine vacuum, by using a tachometer, or by using an exhaust gas analyzer. All I said was that people who are converting to a carburetor should learn how to tune one, and that there are many resources available for people to learn how to do that. You're the one that mentioned tuning it by ear, and said that that's what I was advocating and said that I was spreading inaccurate information. You put words in my mouth that I never said.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette

Reread my post. I never told anyone how to tune a carburetor. I didn't say to tune it by ear, by using engine vacuum, by using a tachometer, or by using an exhaust gas analyzer. All I said was that people who are converting to a carburetor should learn how to tune one, and that there are many resources available for people to learn how to do that. You're the one that mentioned tuning it by ear, and said that that's what I was advocating and said that I was spreading inaccurate information. You put words in my mouth that I never said.
    So you're telling me that you never wrote this:

if you can't bolt down an intake manifold, bolt on the carb, and set the idle mixture and speed, you probably shouldn't be running a carburetor (or should research and figure out how ).
    Because tuning a carburetor require a lot more than just that, and you're making it seem like that's all there is to it.
    Robert

The purpose of this thread is to update owners of carb conversion progress.

Please post other comments or concerns in appropriate threads.

Thank you in advance for keeping DMCTalk neat & tidy.

Bill Robertson

So you're telling me that you never wrote this:

"if you can't bolt down an intake manifold, bolt on the carb, and set the idle mixture and speed, you probably shouldn't be running a carburetor (or should research and figure out how )."

Because tuning a carburetor require a lot more than just that, and you're making it seem like that's all there is to it.
    Last comment on this issue because it's derailing the main purpose of this thread, and it's tiresome just refuting someone making assumptions about what was (or wasn't) said.

That is the bare minimum required to run a carburetor, so if you can't do the bare minimum, then you shouldn't be running a carburetor. It is a logical fallacy to assume that I meant that there is nothing more than that required to properly tune a carburetor. Assuming what I meant, one way or another, is much different than providing "factual information," as you claim you are doing. Again, let this go.
    -Derrin

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette

That is the bare minimum required to run a carburetor... It is a logical fallacy to assume that I meant that there is nothing more than that required to properly tune a carburetor.
    That is precisely what I wanted to hear from you. Thank you.
    Robert

I'm planning to get the Pugeot manifolds based on my driving style, but there are still parts for adapting the carb tothat manifold and other parts that I'm thankful that Bill makes.
    You've got to find a manifold in the first place. I am sure 35 years ago they were as close as your friendly neighborhood Peugeot dealer, but in the year 2016 they are a little scarce to come by. I've tapped out Canadian and Australian Peugeot forums.

Speaking of which: these manifolds are not brand spanking new in a box. Quite the opposite actually. I am doing my best to clean them up, but if anyone thinks there won't be dirt and grime trapped in nooks and crannies I just can't reach, they can divest themselves of that pleasant notion here and now. I just bought two wire brushes for my Dremel too and they disintegrated within minutes. I am back to toothbrushes and Go Jo.

Bill Robertson

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    . I am back to toothbrushes and Go Jo.

Bill Robertson
    Try soda blasting or walnut blasting. You can buy very inexpensive DIY setups for either.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Try soda blasting or walnut blasting. You can buy very inexpensive DIY setups for either.
    I think Dave just offered the DMCMW parking lot for this purpose. Can the blasting wait until the 2016 DMCMW open house in June?

EDIT: Kidding, but didn't you just build a big brand new garage, Bill?

Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast