FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

My experience:
    Dual plane homemade -power at low rpms, power drops off at higher rpms
    Single plane-power at low end and increases all the way up the rpm range

Both run well but single plane factory sand cast manifold runs noticeably smoother, even at idle.

Once I noticed the smoothness and felt the power and speed I knew I wouldn't be going back to Kjet or the homemade dual plane manifold. Not that I have a choice now anyway.
    Last edited by Lou and "Boo"; 02-22-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    Who's Del Silviera ?
    He's a Canadian. You wouldn't know him, Lou
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

That's true. In fact, I really don't know anybody.
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Would you give more details on the dual-plane versus single-plane performance, and how one "feels" compared to the other? Also, do you recall if you had a single or dual plane manifold installed when I drove your car?
    Plenty of info on the Internet about dual plane vs single plane intake manifolds. This YouTube clip gives a short synopsis:

Good rule of thumb is how many RPM's you typically spin before shifting gears. If you typically shift in the 2,000-3,000 RPM range you most likely will be happiest with a dual plane intake manifold. If you typically shift in the 4,000-5,000 RPM range you most likely will be happiest with a single plane intake manifold.

Dual plane manifolds have very strong and consistent vacuum signals, especially off idle. Single plane intake manifolds have very inconsistent vacuum signals and are noticeably slower to respond off idle (they also are a little twitchy off idle). The tradeoff is high RPM performance -- single planes allow you to reach high RPM's very quickly and easily. Dual planes will red line as well, but they take longer and the engine has to work harder to get there.

Notice suggested RPM ranges for Edelbrock and Weiand intake manifolds: dual planes are recommended for idle to mid-RPM performance, single planes are recommended for mid- to high-RPM performance. Those recommendations of course take into account common modifications such as more aggressive camshafts and higher compression ratios, but the general principle remains even on an unmodified engine.

I have both single and dual plane intake manifolds I switch back & forth between (Volvo A Series is single plane without a plenum insert, which I don't have). Typically I put the dual plane on when people will be test driving my car because it's milder mannered, especially since people don't tend to rev other owners' engines high when test driving them.

I've never seen one of Byrne's modified K-Jet manifolds in person, but if I'm understanding them correctly he's routed out a common plenum between runners 1 and 6. Performance is going to depend upon the size of that plenum -- the bigger the plenum, the boggier vacuum signals (imagine running your household water through a swimming pool between the meter and the house, then opening and closing the kitchen faucet). Since he's routing out the center of the manifold, leaving capped off runners on the other side of each live runner, there's bound to be some buffering of the vacuum signals no matter how small the center plenum is.

Bill Robertson

So Bill the manifold you drive most often on for daily use is the Volvo single plane?
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    I've never seen one of Byrne's modified K-Jet manifolds in person...
    Rich has a Byrne manifold.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    So the guy who got banned from here, went to another redneck forum, turned into a pariah there, and now is back here? Good grief.

Dear mods, please do your proper duty and get this pimple banned again.
    I am one who favors second chances. This forum is an incredible go-to place for Delorean technical knowledge, and I think Bill's experience is an asset. Let's not throw any stones yet, shall we?

Welcome back Bill.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    891, 1045

Welcome back Bill!

Looks like you've got a nice collection of PRV intake manifolds there! I sold my spare and am now down to one. I'm keeping that for my next car...I think.

Glad to see that you're set up to sell an inexpensive alternative to K-Jet. I know I spent about $1500 on K-Jet on my first D just to get the motor running. If I had known about carbs back then I'd have gone that route.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

Bill reached out and wanted to post his carb progress in a thread under this sub-forum. I said sure, just stick to the car stuff. Regardless of what stuff happened in the past, if this information and kit helps some DeLorean owners out there, than I'd rather have it be a productive thread.

T.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I am one who favors second chances. This forum is an incredible go-to place for Delorean technical knowledge, and I think Bill's experience is an asset. Let's not throw any stones yet, shall we?

Welcome back Bill.
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

My VIN:    4519

Thanks Bill,

So, that was a single-plane you were running at Justin's, right?

My manifold is off, so if you're interested in any pics or measurements let me know and I'll get them asap.

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast