FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

Anybody who has ever adjusted a hose spigot knows the difference between high pressure and low pressure.

When you want to blast spider webs off the side of the house, you open the spigot all the way to get high pressure out of the hose.

When you want to water your tomato garden, you open the spigot just a little bit so you don't beat the poor plants to death.

This isn't rocket science....

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    6585

Let's go ahead now and place these things into their proper context from the very patents you cited, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Speaking of patently obvious, Bill's thoughts about high pressure fuel systems are not unique. For example:

U.S. Patent 6,264,437 granted 7/24/2001
    col. 2, lines 7 - 10
    This is a description of a potential failure within a fluid pump for when it malfunctions and delivers excess pressure. The description of fire was in relation to the application of a Fuel Injection system, and again is cited problem with the pump itself being the cause of the issue, and not the Fuel Injection system itself.

https://www.google.com/patents/US6264437

U.S. Patent 5,437,255 granted 8/1/1995
    col. 2, lines 41 - 57
    With ANY type of a collision there is of course the concern of fuel systems rupturing, no matter what the system. This is merely an abstract idea, and given the design of the DMC-12 as well as other vehicles which purposefully isolate and protect their fuel lines to avoid any such rupturing problems, it is a moot point. Likewise a "high pressure fuel line" is merely one example given. This does not:
    1. Rule out low-pressure fuel injection/delivery system lines at all.
    2. Give specific measurements to clearly define the term "high pressure".
    3. Give specific clarifications and/or precise definitions as to what type of fuel is being used. I.e. Gasoline, Diesel, Alcohol, et al.

Compared to a carburetor, 65 PSI for K-Jetronic or even 35 PSI for EFI are both relatively higher than a carburetor, certainly. However, in comparison to Diesel fuel which can range betweem 1,000 to 15,000 PSI, K-Jetronic would actually be a low-pressure fuel line.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5437255

U.S. Patent 4,125,101 granted 11/14/1978
    col. 3, lines 41 - 60
    Yet AGAIN we are reading the abstract detailing the potential malfunctioning of a system. Furthermore, this details specific problems with rubber hoses and "higher pressures". Aside from again having NO clear guidelines of what these pressures might be, there is the problem that we're describing the use of rubber hoses with Fuel Injection. Other than the pickup hose and the overflow on the Accumulator to connect it to the return line in case of diaphram failure, we utilize metal and plastic lines instead of rubber. So again, moot point.

Using the wrong material for the job will cause a failure and is not the system's fault.

https://www.google.com/patents/US4125101

Lastly, Bosch's own U.S. Patent 4,227,501 describes:
    col. 3, lines 18 - 24
    This is a great one! You see, BOSCH is describing yet another abstract on malfunction rather than inherent danger. And BOSCH actually gives us specific measurements on fuel pressures here. You know why? Because this section of the patent is describing how K-Jetronic was specifically designed to avoid such a problem by bleeding off excess pressure to avoid the very problem you took out of context.

http://www.google.ch/patents/US4227501

Moral of the story: Replace your fuel lines & copper washers if uncertain about age or condition. The risk outweighs any cost savings.
    Exactly! Same with old-ass rubber hoses on carburetors too.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Incorrect.

Full throttle enrichment valve is plumbed into the carb base, not the venturis. It responds to manifold vacuum *BELOW* the throttle plates. Full throttle enrichment valve literally is as far removed from the venturis as physically possible.

Venturis are *ABOVE* the throttle plates. They have a very important job to do, but it isn't manifold vacuum.

Bill Robertson
    Although true as said, the above could be a bit misleading-
    The enrichment (power valve) system enriches the fuel/air mixture in response to lower manifold vacuum (created by open throttle plates).

For a better (readable) look at the Motorcraft 2150 2V Carb, click HERE

For related Power Valve Specifications, click HERE

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Exclamation

RON !!!!

It's been so long .....

I think Bill did state the lower vacuum to open the valve when he corrected my explanation. As I've always said, Bill DOES know what he is talking about when it comes to mechanics. That's for sure.
    Last edited by Lou and "Boo"; 06-08-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Although true as said, the above could be a bit misleading-
    Post I corrected tied the full throttle enrichment valve to the venturis (specifically air flow through the venturis), not the throttle plates.

Full throttle enrichment valve has absolutely nothing to do with the venturis. If you could figure out some way to make the engine run with the venturi cluster pulled out altogether, full throttle enrichment valve would still work normally.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    RON !!!!

It's been so long .....

I think Bill did state the lower vacuum to open the valve when he corrected my explanation.
    Busy as hell on top of a few medical issues....

Yeah, but it reads like they have nothing to do with power valve operation, to me...

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Sorry for the erroneous Venturi reference,,, that was me.

Bill win set the "mechanical" facts straight I know.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Nothing witty here lest it offend

DMCVegas1 (2).JPG

Wow, DMCVegas, that's big of you. On behalf of everyone, thanks!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Post I corrected tied the full throttle enrichment valve to the venturis (specifically air flow through the venturis), not the throttle plates.

Full throttle enrichment valve has absolutely nothing to do with the venturis. If you could figure out some way to make the engine run with the venturi cluster pulled out altogether, full throttle enrichment valve would still work normally.

Bill Robertson
    I'm not sure what you "corrected", but I basically agree with this.

...Deleting the cluster would leave us with an engine with one speed or rev up and blow, depending...LOL.
    You'd have to do a little more modifying... Otherwise, it would basically leave us with a air metering unit. Maybe you are on to something here. I suggest you call it B-Jet ;-)
    Last edited by Ron; 06-08-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yeah, but it reads like they have nothing to do with power valve operation, to me...
    That is absolutely correct. If you could figure out a way to make the engine run with the venturi cluster pulled out altogether, full throttle valve would still work normally.

Bill Robertson

Page 51 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast