FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Explain #4, Ron. If he was familiar with the fuel hoses he would know that the pump supply and return are both rubber at the tank.
    Help me out here..I went back a ways to find the "assumption" and gave up...

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Yes best of luck to ALL Delorean owners and if the carb guys got questions we are all here to help
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    3021

what's the horsepower limit of the 2100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

While I have been a DeLorean owner since 1998, I was out of the DeLorean forum scene for a few years between the early 2000's and 2012. Between college and law school, life was keeping me busy. Back when I purchased my first DeLorean, I found a picture of a carbureted PRV and asked Ed Bernstein about carburation options. However, Ed flatly, unambiguously, and incorrectly replied that the Peugeot / Volvo carbed manifolds would not bolt-up to a DeLorean PRV. At that time, I gave up on carbing my Delorean and spent a lot of time and money getting K-Jet working. When I started getting back into the community, I was pleasantly surprised to see how much advancement had been accomplished in terms of carburation options. Frankly it was the advancement in carburation options for DeLoreans that convinced me to take on a second project DeLorean for the purposes of restoration.

Via my junk yard sourced Peugeot 604 manifold and carbs along with a $45 mechanical fuel pump (and with the assistance of Google to translate some Renault service guides from French to English) I got 5052 running for less than the cost of a rebuilt fuel distributor. :-)

For some reason totally unknown to me, the attacks on carburation quickly turn into personal attacks on people who prefer carburation and those who carb their DeLoreans.

As the owner of both a carbed DeLorean and K-jet DeLorean one of the things I appreciate about my carbed Delorean most is the electrical simplicity. 5052's fuel system consists of mechanical fuel pump and a single electrical circuit with two connectors running to anti-diesel shut off valves on each carburetor. Thus my fuel system eliminates the need for the Lambda ECU, the Idle ECU, the Fuel Pump Relay, RPM Relay, Inertia Switch and Fuse 7.

Nobody can say that our engines weren't designed for carburation. In contrast, Peugeot and Renault were using the dual Solex system that now sits on 5052 before K-Lambda was on the market.

Finally, acknowledging the flaws in the DeLorean's design is in no way an indictment of the marque. Rather a frank recognition of the downfalls in areas such as the front end, electrical system and fuel system represents a recognition of reality. There were a lot of things the DeLorean / Lotus engineers did correctly, however there was room for improvement. Even the big three make mistakes, even in cars that were a great sales success i.e. the GM's 4100 engine, Ford's rollover prone Explorers of the 1990s...the list goes on and on.

If people have serious questions about carburetion, I am more than happy to answer them. This thread started as DeLorean specific, but I am more than happy to discuss other applications here as well.

If people want to make personal attacks, complain about my terminology, chase me from another forum, etc, I'd appreciate it if that bad behavior is taken elsewhere. You can start a different thread if you want, but please stop polluting this one.

Greg, James, and Steve have conducted themselves very politely, and as a result are on the cusp of receiving hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars of gratis labor, given willingly (Greg's and James' conversions were delivered this afternoon).

Good behavior clearly gets better results than bad behavior.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    2784

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    If people have serious questions about carburetion, I am more than happy to answer them. This thread started as DeLorean specific, but I am more than happy to discuss other applications here as well.

If people want to make personal attacks, complain about my terminology, chase me from another forum, etc, I'd appreciate it if that bad behavior is taken elsewhere. You can start a different thread if you want, but please stop polluting this one.

Greg, James, and Steve have conducted themselves very politely, and as a result are on the cusp of receiving hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars of gratis labor, given willingly (Greg's and James' conversions were delivered this afternoon).

Bill Robertson
    I'm very appreciative of your efforts, and I'm looking forward to getting my Delorean carb'd this summer

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    For some reason totally unknown to me, the attacks on carburation quickly turn into personal attacks on people who prefer carburation and those who carb their DeLoreans.
    There is some much needed clarification here.

The first thing to understand is that the thread you are reading here goes beyond what you are simply reading on your screen. So there are a good many things that a reader just are not privy to. The biggest thing of all is that you are reading an argument that has gone on not for a few weeks, but rather for years.

First and foremost is the fact that no one is "attacking" carburetion in it's theory, or most of all anyone who decides to modify their own DeLorean to run a carbureted fuel delivery system. That is important to keep in mind. I myself am actually a big supporter of carburetion. Especially for three big reasons:

1. It is a viable alternative in the unlikely case that K-Jetronic parts every become unavailable. Again, highly unlikely, but it's always good to have a "Plan B".
    2. For owners that are on modest budgets, it is getting cars back onto the road.
    3. Owner experience is everything. If it makes your car more enjoyable and enhaces your ownership experience, then why wouldn't you do it?

Along those lines as well, no one either is claiming that the PRV was never designed for carburetion. Assumptions like that are based upon accusations from years ago. Ed? He's long gone. Bill? He's been the source of a good deal of such misinformation such as that. All to simply prop himself up and to win arguments.

The thing here for myself isn't that I'm pro-carb or pro-fuel injection to pit one against the other. What I am however is pro-education. I want owners to be able to make properly education decisions about their cars, as much as I want them to be able to have access to the proper information they need in order to make things like a carburetor conversion as successful as it is safe.

Also, no one is denying any sort of flaws in the DeLorean DMC-12 automobile. If we did, we wouldn't even have sites like this or other threads which demonstrate ways to improve upon the car through our online collaborations. Again, that is just manufactured propaganda. Years past in these threads Bill would post his arguments against K-Jetronic, and whenever he would simply be questioned about anything (as you can see here), he would toss out the accusations against people such as myself that we were purists, or we just hated carbs, etc. Then eventually it broke-down into trolling with his saying things such as the car itself was stupid, or all sorts of things along those lines to attack the marque. Now as you can see he's back again, under a different screen name, and resorting again to name calling, and now we're getting into the martyrdom phase again. More to the point however is that when you start spreading misinformation, prepare to be taken to task.

But more important to the point here is that Bill has also been passing out bad information that could seriously hurt people. That is not acceptable. If I were to be attacking anything at all, it would be that kind of ignorance. Especially when Bill gets called out, and refuses to ever correct himself.

Personally, I'm a fuel-injection guy. The reason is simple: I grew up around it, and it's what I know. I prefer the more complicated systems because the benefit of them is that they offer more precise control and troubleshooting. They just require more understanding is all. It's what I am the most comfortable with.

But make no mistake, I fully support your decision to carburete your car, as do others. If you've had success with it, that's fantastic! But even more importantly, please stick around and help out. As more carburetor conversions spring up, we're going to need you, Lou, and others who have the necessary experience to help out others that either convert their cars, or wind up purchasing vehicles that have already been converted. The spreading of that information is what I have been pushing for, and precisely why Bill and I are fighting: I want you to have the info you need at your fingertips with no strings attached, and Bill wants to control it so he can personally distribute it and impose himself onto everyone.

So please, enjoy your car, and lend a hand to those who need your help.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post

Bill Robertson
    Not chasing you Bill. Here to help with the carb guys. Just doing my part for the carbed as well as non carbed Delorean community posting pertinent information in a relevant thread while answering questions from Delorean owners.

As was mentioned here earlier, "please stick around and help out."

You are welcome Bill.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

The very first thing you said, Robert, is that this isn't just about what we see here in the thread; that it's about your war with Bill, which spans years, sadly. That admission is all we needed to hear.

Now take it elsewhere. This is not the venue to cultivate your vendetta.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    The very first thing you said, Robert, is that this isn't just about what we see here in the thread; that it's about your war with Bill, which spans years, sadly. That admission is all we needed to hear.
    I was thinking the same thing.

No pollution....

Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast