FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb Conversion "Kits" ETA March-April 2016

Chad Krause posted a YouTube video that showed his car shifting around 2,500 RPM. That is way too low IMHO. If the new owner in Kansas hasn't adjusted the shift points higher, no wonder he's unhappy.

Bill Robertson

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    If you want to operate your automatic transmission without a properly functioning or positioned kickdown microswitch, knock yourself out.

Chad Krause sold his car with a broken microswitch to an owner in Kansas who now is complaining because he has to downshift manually, blaming that on me (actually he's blaming it on the intake manifold I made, which makes no sense whatsoever -- the intake manifold is just a big hunk of aluminum).

All I can do is make a bracket to hold the microswitch. From that point forward it's the owner's responsibility to position the microswitch and ensure its functionality.

Blaming me for a broken microswitch is like blaming me because you never used the toothbrush I provided, and now your teeth are rotting and your breath stinks.

There comes a point where owners need to start taking responsibility themselves.

I've done all I can.

Bill Robertson
    If you want to believe that, instead of thanking someone for correcting/clarifying your use of (false) absolutes, which can easily mislead people, and respond with BS like this instead, while believing that most here don't see the only thing you care about is your face saving ego, knock YOURSELF out.
    Last edited by Ron; 06-20-2016 at 03:31 AM.

Chad Krause posted a YouTube video that showed his car shifting around 2,500 RPM. That is way too low IMHO. If the new owner in Kansas hasn't adjusted the shift points higher, no wonder he's unhappy.

Bill Robertson
    Perhaps the problem was not resolved because you told him-

The full throttle kickdown microswitch must be installed and adjusted so it gets tripped/closed by the throttle mechanism when the throttle plates are wide open. That is the only way the transmission knows to downshift into the next lower gear.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Ron; 06-20-2016 at 03:28 AM.

Perhaps you should start a dedicated "How to Set Up and Tune an Auto Conversion" thread?

Posting info in this thread could well get lost as it grows.

Bill Robertson

I provide all the requisite pieces for an auto conversion. Obviously they can be set up successfully because Garen Martens reported way back in Post #293 that he is happy with his.

Del Silveira also reported being happy with his auto conversion (since sold). Same with Jim Edwards. Farrar never complained about automatic transmission aspects of his conversion (engine had several other problems, such as block rot and now coolant in the oil).

Of course Chad never said anything about being unhappy with his conversion either, other than conflicts with me personally (he threatened to melt his intake manifold into a solid blob of aluminum and post pics -- very mature), but the new owner is raising a ruckus....

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 06-20-2016 at 07:27 AM.

I provide all the requisite pieces for an auto conversion.
    Owner transfers the full throttle kickdown microswitch from his K-Jet installation (I provide the bracket). If his switch is broken or missing he can buy a new one here: http://store.delorean.com/p-6650-mic...with-flap.aspx

Bill Robertson

Perhaps you should start a dedicated "How to Set Up and Tune an Auto Conversion" thread?

Posting info in this thread could well get lost as it grows.

Bill Robertson
    No need, IF the "clevis" you claim to provide is located such that the resulting cable travel is the same as original -- Set up would be virtually the same as found in the manual. But, IMHO, you, as a vendor, should inform people of this, not tell them that "...the full throttle microswitch....is the only way the transmission knows to downshift" (or similar, three times, as you did).

Besides, your later elaborations on the subject (minus the ludicrous face saving BS) seem to cover things nicely -- All I was looking for, for the sake of fellow owners, in the first place.

If you bought a carb conversion off eBay, you would not expect anything more than safe delivery of the advertised product.

If you bought carb conversion off Craigslist, you would not expect anything more than safe delivery of the advertised product.

If you bought a carb conversion off Amazon for crying out loud, you would not expect anything more than safe delivery of the advertised product.

Why then does everyone expect me to hold owners' hands and wipe their noses?

I provide annotated setup pictures, which is more than you would get from any other retailer.

I even pre-tune the carburetor, which definitely is more than you would get from any other retailer.

Have you all forgotten that I sell these things for materials cost only? That is one helluva bargain (my current welder thinks I am crazy for doing it). May I humbly suggest you all stop crying and complaining? If a complete, vetted, test driven, pre-tuned, conversion at cost isn't good enough, you can always buy your conversion from someone else....

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 06-20-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Has anyone noticed that nearly every person crying and complaining about my carb conversions -- Robert, Ron, David, et al -- hasn't even bought one? That's like complaining that a restaurant isn't any good when you've never eaten there, or complaining that a movie is no good when you haven't watched it.

As bad as Louis is, at least he complains about something he actually bought.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

As bad as I am, I don't even complain about the carb setup at all. In fact, it works awesome. (Now that the power valve is back in.)

It was dealing with Bill's personality that was the downfall of our acquaintance. Ive always praised his mechanical knowledge, which I think is vast.
    Last edited by Lou and "Boo"; 06-20-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast