FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: fender antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    More importantly, why on earth would you build a car with a radio, but no antenna?
    [snip]
    No idea
    Of course I don't know for sure either, but I think the cars where intentionally shipped without the fender antenna masts so to prevent damage during transit (transfer from factory to port-of-exit, transition onto ship, off of ship, transit to QAC). Then on arrival at QAC in the United States, antennas were easily put on, then shipped to dealers.

T.

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Absolutely....we did a bunch of them. It was a common retrofit but almost everyone just capped the fender hole or left the windshield in so the telltale was still there. Now that the holes can more readily be welded and in some cases shields have been replaced there may well be "cheater" cars out there but it's a nice refinement over the fender mount which almost no one likes.
    Rob
    Thanks Rob. One last question. For the windshield antenna & stock Craig unit (which I have), has anybody installed a signal booster like one of these? Do they work?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/vehicle...Fcdehgod-sYFiQ

http://www.carid.com/american-intern...FQZZhgodelEP7g
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Thanks Rob. One last question. For the windshield antenna & stock Craig unit (which I have), has anybody installed a signal booster like one of these? Do they work?

http://www.lightinthebox.com/vehicle...Fcdehgod-sYFiQ

http://www.carid.com/american-intern...FQZZhgodelEP7g
    I installed a few signal boosters back in the day on fender and quarter antenna'd cars with a marked improvement but never on a W/S antenna car. Today's radios generally don't require an FM booster. I'd suggest the power antenna upgrade as the better, albeit more expensive, fix. No harm in trying one first however!
    Rob

Time bender stated a few posts back he had Vin 7000. September 81 build. I have 6864,November 81 build. Antennae is right front fender,electric. Biggest question is how does my car have a earlier Vin,but,later build date!?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I installed a few signal boosters back in the day on fender and quarter antenna'd cars with a marked improvement but never on a W/S antenna car. Today's radios generally don't require an FM booster. I'd suggest the power antenna upgrade as the better, albeit more expensive, fix. No harm in trying one first however!
    Rob
    Thanks Rob. I probably would favor the power antenna over the booster. I'll refurb/clean the head unit and then reassess. Apologies to the OP. I hope I didn't derail the thread.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Well... I fall into the NO ANTENNA range at 4456. If my rear mounted antenna was done at a QAC then whoever cut the rear vent for the mast clearance had the steadiest hand I've ever encountered... And the patience to finish the cut to pristine spec. because there's no sign of it being done after the fact.

Of course it's possible the rear vent piece was of the "newer" style made for the rear antenna cars and was installed at the factory without an antenna. But, it seems unlikely they would have had those pieces on hand prior to having antennas.

It's a mystery.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    5757

Is it true that JZD didn't like the look of the fender antenna and that's why it was discontinued?

My VIN:    5875

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOI)

I have an original windshield and original rear power antenna - Oct 81, VIN 5875. There's also 3 other Oct 81 cars in my hometown and all have the same as my car. Perhaps the antenna's were added on US soil at a QC depot.
    Eric
    1981/Grey/Manual/Grooved Hood/Martin Lowering Springs/SPEC I Exhaust/Ice Cold R134 AC

Ontario Year of Manufacture (YOM) License Plates
    www.YOMplates.ca

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4