FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: buying a delorean cash on the spot

buying a delorean cash on the spot

Anyone here have experience with buying a DeLorean with cash from a private seller? I'm a newbie at this. What's the protocol? If I drive away with the car, I'm guessing I have to call my insurance company (in my case state farm) earlier in the day and make sure it's covered? What else do I need? Just a written up bill of sale and the title?

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by gullwingD View Post
    Anyone here have experience with buying a DeLorean with cash from a private seller? I'm a newbie at this. What's the protocol? If I drive away with the car, I'm guessing I have to call my insurance company (in my case state farm) earlier in the day and make sure it's covered? What else do I need? Just a written up bill of sale and the title?
    If you are going to be buying cash on the spot I recommend bringing a friend. Trust me on this. I once got into a funny situation buying a car.
    Barry

You think they are going to beat me up? lol They don't know I might be bringing cash, unless they read this forum lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    If you are going to be buying cash on the spot I recommend bringing a friend. Trust me on this. I once got into a funny situation buying a car.

My VIN:    4519

I bought 10372 w/cash. I think insurance guidelines vary between states. I'm in NYS w/State Farm for my DD's (God bless you for insuring a classic w/them.) Calling them with the VIN is all I ever need to do to be insured asap. I put 10372 on a trailer and honestly don't recall how (or if) I insured it that day. I insured it w/American Collectors after I got it home.

4728 was bought out of state and insured in advance w/American Collectors Insurance. I think I only needed the VIN and some pics. The deductible was 10% while in transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    +1

I recommend going heavy if possible...

You think they are going to beat me up? lol
    You never know, I'd guess that criminals might consider a potential DeLorean buyer a good target.

My VIN:    3589

You should be covered

I have State Farm, I usually call my agent with the VIN when I buy a new car and get it all setup. I'm pretty sure you have 30 days with State Farm to call them to put the car on a policy. (Don't rely on my statement though :-)

If you do buy the car, you and the seller should visit a bank (or better yet your local BMV) together. When he/she signs the title over to you, the signature will have to be notarized (Most Banks provide this service).

The Notary has to witness the signature before they will notarize it. If the seller signs over the title to you in the driveway, then you might have a problem getting it notarized later.

If you do everything at the BMV, you can get the new title issued right then and there!

So if I need a notarized signature, it's best I don't do this at 5pm tomorrow, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    I have State Farm, I usually call my agent with the VIN when I buy a new car and get it all setup. I'm pretty sure you have 30 days with State Farm to call them to put the car on a policy. (Don't rely on my statement though :-)

If you do buy the car, you and the seller should visit a bank (or better yet your local BMV) together. When he/she signs the title over to you, the signature will have to be notarized (Most Banks provide this service).

The Notary has to witness the signature before they will notarize it. If the seller signs over the title to you in the driveway, then you might have a problem getting it notarized later.

If you do everything at the BMV, you can get the new title issued right then and there!

I've never heard of a notarized signature being necessary on a title.

I have a friend who is a notary, so If its needed I could always get her to sign it later since she can't be there with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I've never heard of a notarized signature being necessary on a title.

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I had my car towed home and did the title transfer at the DMV the following day (original pink slip in hand).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast