FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Impact Absorbers...

My VIN:    10201

I didn't read the full thread before posting but are people seriously saying that the cracked, hardened and flaking OE absorbers safer than a Diy repair? I'm with nick on this, just use a durometer and find a foam that matches. You're not driving on 40 year old tires, why would you trust 40 year old crumbling bumpers?

My VIN:    6313

I rebuilt my rear bumper with this stuff. The original rear foam was destroyed by moisture but the front was in good condition. I resurfaced both with rubber paint (which I can't find the link for).

Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    10201

What did you use to shape it?

I'm hoping flex seal will do the job recoating my old one for now.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I used a plsti-dip spray to coat mine...works fine..is flexible enough to crush on impact, but strong enough to hold it together.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

I've got a handful of these impact absorbers stuffed away in the attic. Probably 3 or 4 parts cars worth of them. I have no idea the condition, but if someone is interested in them, and picking them up locally in West Michigan, I'll go take a look this week.

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    What did you use to shape it?

I'm hoping flex seal will do the job recoating my old one for now.
    I cut the Impacxx Foam up with a hacksaw and then used a metal file to shape the corners. I used two pieces (because of the shapes it comes in) to make up the rear bumper - which I shaped to fit like the stock absorber around the aluminum bar. I affixed it with mounting tape.

Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6