FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: bled brakes now no brakes?

My VIN:    10686

bled brakes now no brakes?

So i bled and flushed my brakes out today, no air in there just the little tiny micro bubbles. Fire her up for a test drive and pedal goes to the floor! All connections are tight and the brakes worked good before. What am I missing here? I will say that I hear a louder than normal hiss when I press the brakes. Now when the car is off the pedal firms up, when its on is just goes to the floor.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by txdmc View Post
    So i bled and flushed my brakes out today, no air in there just the little tiny micro bubbles. Fire her up for a test drive and pedal goes to the floor! All connections are tight and the brakes worked good before. What am I missing here? I will say that I hear a louder than normal hiss when I press the brakes. Now when the car is off the pedal firms up, when its on is just goes to the floor.
    How old is your brake master cylinder? If it's old and the fluid was really black you may have finished off the seals by pushing the pedal to the floor when bleeding. Once the cylinder wall below the seal picks up any corrosion or debris you run the risk of seal failure with the bleeding procedure itself. Another possibility is the booster but less likely as the pedal is usually hard but braking power is poor when it's bad. Does the hissing noise come from the booster?
    Rob

I would agree with that. Im sure that the master cylinder is the original one. Ill just have to order a new one and get it over with.

I had the same problem this week, I've replaced the calipers repairs, flushed and bled, but when we put fluid in the system, the pedal went all the way and we discovered that the brake master cylinder was very corroded and never replaced. We put a new one, and brakes are awesome now.

Fernando Silotto. Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Delorean Vin 3772

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Sometimes an air bubble gets stuck right at the bottom of the reservoir and is difficult to dislodge. If you were bleeding and got good flow that won't be the problem. Sometimes you have to bleed more than once to get all of the air out. NEVER use DOT 5, you will not get the air out of it and will never get a hard pedal. If the old fluid was dark and thick you probably have corrosion in the master cylinder and ripped the seals when you pushed the piston into the corroded area like Rob said. If your master cylinder is bad you should check out your clutch too. If the brake (and clutch) have not been flushed every 2 years, both systems should be rebuilt.
    David Teitelbaum

How did you bleed the brakes? A pressure bleeder? Someone pumping the pedal? A vacuum pump at the bleed nipple? If you didn't close the bleed nipple quickly enough or if you had the nipple open too far, air can get drawn through the threads leaving a big bubble at the caliper. Also, it's helpful to bleed the caliper farthest from the master cylinder first, then work to the next longest, etc. I suppose it is possible you now have a problem with the power brake booster if the pedal firms up when no vacuum is present.
    --
    Mike

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I have a brand new master cylinder for sale if you are interested.

Will

thanks for all the replies! I had to order some dmc Houston items so I picked up a master cylinder as well. I how ever did not know about PJ Grady I will be ordering some things from them soon too! During the removal I noticed 3 things...... 1 that is the original master cylinder and 2 there was a lot of crap coming from around where brake lines go out from the master cylinder and 3 the gasket from between the master cylinder and power booster was bad as well. Lucky for me I live in dallas so I can get parts from Houston quickly..... un lucky I get to pay sales tax. Anyways I will let you all know what happens

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

thanks for all the replies! I had to order some dmc Houston items so I picked up a master cylinder as well. I how ever did not know about PJ Grady I will be ordering some things from them soon too! During the removal I noticed 3 things...... 1 that is the original master cylinder and 2 there was a lot of crap coming from around where brake lines go out from the master cylinder and 3 the gasket from between the master cylinder and power booster was bad as well. Lucky for me I live in dallas so I can get parts from Houston quickly..... un lucky I get to pay sales tax. Anyways I will let you all know what happens
    Rob at PJgrady is currently working on a set of SS brake lines, Talking to him he mentioned they will have the correct hex nut so when you install them in the stock locations they will not twist around when tightening them. I have the DMC huston ones, Nice braided lines and aside from the packages being labled wrong my only complaint was the hex nut. To tighten the metal line was a real pain in the ass. I had to insert a flat blade screw driver to keep them from rotating to get proper torque on the brake lines. Unfortunately like you my hoses were blown out and leaking so I need replacements ASAP.

Will

I said the hell with it!! New master cylinder, new stainless lines and new refurbished calipers. I'll let you all know how it works out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast