FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: What is volume in cubic ft of compartment behind driver seat?

What is volume in cubic ft of compartment behind driver seat?

Figuring out what sub to put there. JL W6 10 maybe
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have a "JL Audio" 8" in mine. Not sure if a 10" would work. The sub itself is in an enclosed case but I think 10" might be pushing the boundaries of the cover and still have room for an enclosure to be built around it.

woof.jpg
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Interesting Michael. Do you happen to have a photo of the enclosure?
    I was thinking about simply letting the compartment act as the enclosure. What might be downsides?
    thanks!

My VIN:    1800

I have a 10" Alpine installed in my car with no issues. I'm not sure about the fit of a W6 though.
    Nathan D.

Current owner of #1800 - June '81, Black Interior, Manual, LS4 V8 swapped

Former owner of #3455 - Twin Turbo - Aug '81, Custom Interior, Manual

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

Former owner of #5788 - Oct '81, Grey Interior, Manual

YouTube - "Going Broke Garage"

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    Interesting Michael. Do you happen to have a photo of the enclosure?
    I was thinking about simply letting the compartment act as the enclosure. What might be downsides?
    thanks!
    That's waht I was talking about, a 10" will probably fit the door, but the enclosure attaches to the door so it needs to encompass the speaker plus the thickness of the enclosure board. Probably 3/4" minimum for a 10"

If you use the space of the compartment itself, you may want to insulate it very well to keep buzzing and vibration down. I would consider using the sound deadning sticky panels. Also you will have to come up with a way to secure the panel door tightly to the car and make an airtight seal. Even so the area of the compartment may be too big to get the sound you want.

Here is a pic of the enclosure on mine. Courtesy of DMCH Alpine sound package
    1456886224944.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 03-01-2016 at 09:53 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10270

I used to have a Kicker Solobaric 10" in that compartment in a removable enclosure. The outer edge of the basket was just about a perfect fit.

IMG_2226.jpg

I wouldn't consider a free-air sub there unless you're willing to experiment. It may be OK but there is a ton of rattle potential in and above that compartment.
    Last edited by FABombjoy; 03-01-2016 at 10:50 PM.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Hmmm does anybody in the forums make some boxes that go on the shelf between the two seats?

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I used to have a Kicker Solobaric 10" in that compartment in a removable enclosure. The outer edge of the basket was just about a perfect fit.

IMG_2226.jpg

I wouldn't consider a free-air sub there unless you're willing to experiment. It may be OK but there is a ton of rattle potential in and above that compartment.

Do you have any pictures of the removable enclosure? Just trying to figure out how to build it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    First 700

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    Hmmm does anybody in the forums make some boxes that go on the shelf between the two seats?
    I have mine set up between the seats in a removable box right now. Not that you can remove the box to anyplace else inside the car. I am planning to move the speaker into the cubby when I get around to it. I need to make sure I have all the leaks fixed for sure. A 10 probably is overkill considering a good 8 can get about as low. I have mine turned down along with my back speakers. The sub does make a noticeably better dept of the music. I think the cubby has 1.3 cubic feet of space. If you put some fiberfill in there it makes the volume look bigger to the sealed box.

This is a JL Audio 10W3v3-4 in a Atrend 10SQL box with a JL Audio SGRU-10 grill. Was about $250 from sonic electronix.

Delorean_Sub_Between_Seats.jpg