FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Luggage caompartment carpet thing..

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    6778

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Thank you! Just what I needed!

Quote Originally Posted by larryk View Post
    Thank you! Just what I needed!
    Welcome! My CAD designer has not had time lately to get specs into the water jet. Let me know if you come with something. I was going to test with plexi, aluminum, starboard.
    Can anyone verify if that is a factory part I have? My car is WELL documented from the original & second owners and very original in terms of the bulk of the car (i.e. non-maintenance items) so I assume it's original.
    Last edited by Timeless; 05-13-2023 at 09:08 AM.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Welcome! My CAD designer has not had time lately to get specs into the water jet. Let me know if you come with something. I was going to test with plexi, aluminum, starboard.
    Can anyone verify if that is a factory part I have? My car is WELL documented from the original & second owners and very original in terms of the bulk of the car (i.e. non-maintenance items) so I assume it's original.
    It looks correct to me. I've had my car since new, while they were still in business. I lost some odd parts (like the trunk carpet and the spare) when someone was "working" on it quite a few years ago. It's now finally running again after 35 years and I'm trying to get all the details sorted out. I put together a cad file from the picture, but I think it's not quite correct. If you'd like to send me some measurements so I can verify I would be happy to send you the resulting file.

Larry

It looks correct to me. I've had my car since new, while they were still in business. I lost some odd parts (like the trunk carpet and the spare) when someone was "working" on it quite a few years ago. It's now finally running again after 35 years and I'm trying to get all the details sorted out. I put together a cad file from the picture, but I think it's not quite correct. If you'd like to send me some measurements so I can verify I would be happy to send you the resulting file.

Larry
    It's at my office - I'll measure it ASAP and post the results.
    ~LXA~

Length: 38.25" (could be 38.5" since carpet is large enough)
    Height: 28"
    Height at the drop: 24"
    Length from the center drop to end: 17"

I didn't measure the drop at the top right (in my photo) since the carpet has no provision there and having a board without it can provide a bit more solidity at the edge.
    ~LXA~

I didn't measure the drop at the top right (in my photo) since the carpet has no provision there and having a board without it can provide a bit more solidity at the edge.
    I measured the interior of the trunk and it appears from those measurements that the board is cut to fit in that slightly indented area. It may take a couple of days to get to this but I'll have a CAD file pretty quickly. Is DXF OK as a format? I've got a few formats I can export. FYI, I'm using Aspire to create the file.

I measured the interior of the trunk and it appears from those measurements that the board is cut to fit in that slightly indented area. It may take a couple of days to get to this but I'll have a CAD file pretty quickly. Is DXF OK as a format? I've got a few formats I can export. FYI, I'm using Aspire to create the file.
    DXF is ok. Any AutoCAD file we can make work.
    ~LXA~

I based this on measurements of the riveted area in the trunk. This is a first pass and I'll likely adjust it based on how well it fits. It may end up a bit smaller to fit and allow for the caulk sealing the two riveted parts in the trunk

I figured the easiest way to attach to the carpet is
    Put this in the trunk in the recessed area
    Align the carpet optimally on top of it
    Weight down part of the carpet and roll it back
    Add the adhesive to the board about an inch or so from the edge
    Roll the carpet back on the board
    Press it down to attach to the glued board
    This will insure best alignment of the board and carpet. The factory likely had a jig to do this.

I have to cut this in two pieces as my machine will only do 24 x 50. I plan putting the two narrower pieces together and use it with a template bit on the router table to cut a new single piece.

I don't remember for certain, but it seems the factory one has a rounded edge and not just cut square to the face.

delorean trunk 5.zip

My VIN:    10309

carpet board

I didn't know there was press board under that carpet but I had a carpet in good shape. Home Depot sells 1/4" plywood cut in half. I just cut 1/4" plywood that i traced off the carpet. Jigsaw the shape, try to fit it in the trunk and adjust where needed. Use spray glue on the plywood and the carpet and press the carpet onto the board. It should stick immediately. Done. Have had mine for 10 years or so and it fits perfectly and allows easy removal when working inside the trunk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2