FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The TesLorean

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Cool.

Make the up and down arrows play sheep noise.

Yeah, it might be taking it too far to put in a cup holder..borderline blasphemy...so stop such deviant thoughts..
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    Early

Now THIS is cool! Great work!

One thing. Install. That. Cupholder. I installed two in my car where the window switches used to be, and they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Also, if you end up using the cluster design, please post a picture of the finished product!

Edit: Think this is the first time I've seen someone else use sealed deutsch connectors...
    Last edited by 81dmc; 10-22-2018 at 11:52 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    6313

Trip Computer

Trip Computer design is finished and ready to go in the car. The Trip Computer is the master controller in the TesLorean as it controls the primary source of input from the driver (apart from the steering and accelerator) and issues commands to the thermal controller, charger, battery control, instrument cluster, drive unit...

Recent work on the TesLorean has all been on controller programming (too darn hot to be in the garage).

Jeff
    Last edited by DrJeff; 08-24-2019 at 10:57 PM.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Very cool.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Updates?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Updates?
    Recent activity...
    - Coding the Trip computer : it acts as the master controller for all the car's systems
    - Desktop integration testing : Trip computer, KeyPad Pro, 4D Systems display, HSR drive unit controller, BCM battery control module, and Charger controller
    - Charger : now charging at 10kW full power
    - Motor position : Rebuilt the motor mounts to reduce the angle on the axles and allow easy routing of the high voltage cabling into the drive unit
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    5510

How long do you think you have before your first drive under electric power?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberBill View Post
    How long do you think you have before your first drive under electric power?
    I would say 3-4 months. I'm waiting on part I've engineered in coming from Northern Italy (delayed for obvious reasons). Apart from that I need to resize the axles since I moved the motor location. Goal is to have the car road ready for the Full Charged show in April 2021 in Austin Texas.

Jeff
    Jeff

Digital Binnacle

I assembled the Digital Instrument Cluster for the TesLorean and thought it might be interesting to post.

Digital Binnacle TesLorean.jpgDigital Binnacle Guts.jpgDigital Binnacle Back.jpg

Some technical details...
    - 2 of 4D Systems 9in displays
    - Reads CANbus traffic from other car controllers (such as Tesla Drive Unit, Trip computer) and updates the digital gauges
    - Stock 12v signals for warning lights, indicators, headlights all route through opto-isolator to protect microcontroller
    - Ruggiduino (Arduino) microcontroller
    - fused 1 amp 12v

Project details...
    - Kept the original gauge housing (light blue plastic) and re-fashioned to hold the electronics
    - Split the original gauge housing in half, to create the space for the two 9in displays

Operational details...
    - Flux Capacitor icon only shows when at 88mph
    - 55 and 88 mph highlighted on the speed gauge (hard to see in the photo)
    - Gauges for Speed, Torque, Coolant Temp, 12v, High voltage battery capacity, and Power consumption/regen
    - Warning gauges for power steering, battery management system, Tesla drive unit, battery capacity, and handbrake
    - Cruise control icon shown above the speedo
    - Screen brightness adjusted from the trip computer (in the center console)

Jeff
    Jeff

A dash like that would be cool to have even in a non-electric (hint, hint).
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast