I post more frequent updates on the project (Tesla in a DeLorean) to Twitter, DIYElectricCar, and Facebook, since those particular are threads are specifically about the conversion of cars to electric. However, I thought you guys might get a kick out of this update...

TesLorean Layout.jpg

It shows the positioning of the major EV components in the car. Some of the basics...

- Trunk area (front) will be filled with two (or four) battery modules (laid bottom to bottom - with common cooling plate between). It will also have the charger in the spare wheel well, and the battery pack controllers, fuses, and pre-charge circuit.

- I'm still debating where to put the charge port. The gas filler location is not ideal - you'd need to leave the hood open for hours while the car is recharging (would be different with a gas flap hood). I may put it behind the front grill, much the same as the DMCH electric delorean. It looks a little awkward, but it would remain dry.

- The old gas tank area will have a collection of modules for high voltage connects/distribution, coolant pumps, coolant heater and chiller, ac compressor. It will be serviceable from the bottom by removing the fuel tank closing plate. Coolant heater runs off battery power (400v) and raises the temperature of the battery pack on very cold days. The coolant chiller is attached to the AC system. The AC compressor runs off battery power (400v) - very efficient and runs at different speeds depending on demand.

- The DCDC converter will take traction battery power (400v) and output 14v, supported by the 12v lead acid battery.

- There are 3 electric coolant pumps and 3 diverter valves. The system pumps and routes coolant between the traction battery (400v) and the Tesla drive unit. Heater, Chiller, Radiator, etc. are all employed to keep the battery and drive unit at optimal temperature.

- High voltage lines, coolant lines (no refrigerant line), CAN and low voltage will be routed through and on the underside of the central tunnel.

- The Tesla DriveUnit includes a "transmission" (single 9:1 reduction gear and differential), so the PRV engine and the transmission are removed. There is no shifting linkage through the tunnel. The car will operate like an automatic - although the acceleration will be smooth and continuous from 0 to top speed.

- For weight distribution, there will be about 250lbs up front (battery and charger), and 450lbs at the rear (battery and drive unit), with about 100lbs in the gas tank area.

- The dash will remain as stock however the meaning and function of most dials and lights will change. Only the speedometer, 12v battery, and coolant temp will read as per stock. The rest (including the Tach) will have meaning for the EV systems status.

- The upper central vents have already been moved to the knee pads and the upper console area has the trip computer. It will display the battery status, and information from various systems (drive unit, battery, temps, DCDC, accelerometer).

- The gear shift area will have buttons to shift PNDR, creep mode, and cruise control. There will also be an emergency power disconnect.

- Stock buttons in the center console will be moved to the prior door AC panel area (already moved). Only the rear window defrost switch will be kept in the console area.

- Other than the trip computer in the upper center console, lack of shifter, cabin customization, LED headlights, the car will appear to be a stock DeLorean. I'm going to mount fake exhausts to keep the rear lines and look consistent with stock.

Jeff