FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The TesLorean

My VIN:    6313

TesLorean update - gettin real...

I post more frequent updates on the project (Tesla in a DeLorean) to Twitter, DIYElectricCar, and Facebook, since those particular are threads are specifically about the conversion of cars to electric. However, I thought you guys might get a kick out of this update...

TesLorean Layout.jpg

It shows the positioning of the major EV components in the car. Some of the basics...

- Trunk area (front) will be filled with two (or four) battery modules (laid bottom to bottom - with common cooling plate between). It will also have the charger in the spare wheel well, and the battery pack controllers, fuses, and pre-charge circuit.

- I'm still debating where to put the charge port. The gas filler location is not ideal - you'd need to leave the hood open for hours while the car is recharging (would be different with a gas flap hood). I may put it behind the front grill, much the same as the DMCH electric delorean. It looks a little awkward, but it would remain dry.

- The old gas tank area will have a collection of modules for high voltage connects/distribution, coolant pumps, coolant heater and chiller, ac compressor. It will be serviceable from the bottom by removing the fuel tank closing plate. Coolant heater runs off battery power (400v) and raises the temperature of the battery pack on very cold days. The coolant chiller is attached to the AC system. The AC compressor runs off battery power (400v) - very efficient and runs at different speeds depending on demand.

- The DCDC converter will take traction battery power (400v) and output 14v, supported by the 12v lead acid battery.

- There are 3 electric coolant pumps and 3 diverter valves. The system pumps and routes coolant between the traction battery (400v) and the Tesla drive unit. Heater, Chiller, Radiator, etc. are all employed to keep the battery and drive unit at optimal temperature.

- High voltage lines, coolant lines (no refrigerant line), CAN and low voltage will be routed through and on the underside of the central tunnel.

- The Tesla DriveUnit includes a "transmission" (single 9:1 reduction gear and differential), so the PRV engine and the transmission are removed. There is no shifting linkage through the tunnel. The car will operate like an automatic - although the acceleration will be smooth and continuous from 0 to top speed.

- For weight distribution, there will be about 250lbs up front (battery and charger), and 450lbs at the rear (battery and drive unit), with about 100lbs in the gas tank area.

- The dash will remain as stock however the meaning and function of most dials and lights will change. Only the speedometer, 12v battery, and coolant temp will read as per stock. The rest (including the Tach) will have meaning for the EV systems status.

- The upper central vents have already been moved to the knee pads and the upper console area has the trip computer. It will display the battery status, and information from various systems (drive unit, battery, temps, DCDC, accelerometer).

- The gear shift area will have buttons to shift PNDR, creep mode, and cruise control. There will also be an emergency power disconnect.

- Stock buttons in the center console will be moved to the prior door AC panel area (already moved). Only the rear window defrost switch will be kept in the console area.

- Other than the trip computer in the upper center console, lack of shifter, cabin customization, LED headlights, the car will appear to be a stock DeLorean. I'm going to mount fake exhausts to keep the rear lines and look consistent with stock.

Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Looks like its coming along nicely. I dont follow twitter and facebook is evil...hehe.
    Hope you'll post more here too.

you could always put like a little fog machine connected to the exhaust tips so they could smoke a bit for added realism...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10644

Can you modify either the air intake or power antenna vents for a charging port?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Hey I recognize that model...
    Glad it can be of use to you!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I thought that looked familiar! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It was very useful. Found it by doing Google 'delorean frame' searches. I snagged images from the front, rear, and side too.

Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Key milestone today - test installed the axles connecting the Tesla drive unit to the DeLorean rear hubs.

Picture from above the DeLorean rear transmission area with the Tesla drive unit fitted, the adapters (make from Tesla inner CV joints), and the axles.
    Tesla DU with Axles.jpg

Looking down the passenger trailing arm at the rear wheel hub. Can see the axle, CV joint, and tone ring.
    Axle into DeLorean rear hub.jpg

thanks to the DriveShaft Shop for building the adapters and custom axles.
    Jeff

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

very cool. so it'll be done in a couple days then?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    Early

Will the Teslorean be DC fast charge capable? Perhaps install the module used for the handshake at a tesla supercharger?

It would be hilarious seeing a Delorean at supercharger...

This comes to mind...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Gear Selector Panel for Electric Drive

I got the PowerKey 2300 SI running. Just a little hiccup with the default CAN baud rate (mine was 250KBPS, not 125KPBS as in the documentation). The panel will sit slightly forward of where the gearshift was. I'm still debating whether I should put a cup holder where the gear shift has been removed. A DeLorean with a sensible cup holder location may just be a step too far for the purists

I bought mine directly from Blink Marine.

Unit is very solid and has great key action. You can select the key symbol inserts from 200+ available (very easy to change). The pic shows some of the button light colors possible, essentially combinations of RGB, shown here at 100% brightness.

My car will have D-drive, R-reverse, (P) - park, Charge, Up, and Down. I haven't landed exactly on the purpose of Up/Down yet but it could be a regen level adjuster OR air suspension... TBD

PowerKey Button Colors.jpg

I landed on using a button panel like this after using a similar arrangement in the FIAT 500e. In the TesLorean, the button will only indicate selected once the trip computer has confirmation back from the HSR motor control module that the motor is in the selected mode.

There is backlighting and the button LEDs can be made to blink.

I'll need to work on the color scheme and what information I need the buttons to convey as the car is being operated/charged. It will be something more subtle that the Christmas tree shown in the photo.

No N neutral required - (P) is sufficient. The TesLorean will rely on the manual hand brake to stop the car rolling. The trip computer will monitor the manual handbrake and flash warning lights until it is engaged.
    Jeff

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast