FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front Bumper Discolor

My VIN:    nov 81

Front Bumper Discolor

tried a few different "back to black" polishes. nothing works. in the right light it stands out like a sore thumb
    I dont want to run a front plate. The holes dont even have anything behind them to tighten one in. I went and got the plugs from auto part store when i got car to fill the holes.
    Any Ideas?

I did try a heat gun but was scared to keep it on too long. It didnt seem to do anything.

Merry Christmas

Dave
    Attached Images

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    tried a few different "back to black" polishes. nothing works. in the right light it stands out like a sore thumb
    I dont want to run a front plate. The holes dont even have anything behind them to tighten one in. I went and got the plugs from auto part store when i got car to fill the holes.
    Any Ideas?

I did try a heat gun but was scared to keep it on too long. It didnt seem to do anything.

Merry Christmas

Dave
    Nothing is going to work, the bumper has discolored because there was a plate so the spot behind it did not discolor like the rest of the bumper. Mask the black part and try to repaint it. You need to use paint with an additive that makes it flexible. The good news is you can repair those holes and after you paint you won't notice them anymore. if you ever do need a front plate there are other ways to mount it without making holes in the facia.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Nothing is going to work, the bumper has discolored because there was a plate so the spot behind it did not discolor like the rest of the bumper. Mask the black part and try to repaint it. You need to use paint with an additive that makes it flexible. The good news is you can repair those holes and after you paint you won't notice them anymore. if you ever do need a front plate there are other ways to mount it without making holes in the facia.
    Dave have you heard of anyone trying this?

found this on deloreans site. I may try next week.....

The black section of the OEM fascia is not painted at all. The black color is the bare urethane. This area can often be brought back to like-new with some effort using very fine (up to 2000 grit) sandpaper and polishing compound. If the urethane is "too far gone" or has to be repaired, we've found that a universal bumper/trim black such as "SEM Trim Black 39143" is an effective solution, although not quite as durable as the bare urethane. On the replacement fiberglass fascia, painting the black areas is mandatory.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Dave have you heard of anyone trying this?

found this on deloreans site. I may try next week.....

The black section of the OEM fascia is not painted at all. The black color is the bare urethane. This area can often be brought back to like-new with some effort using very fine (up to 2000 grit) sandpaper and polishing compound. If the urethane is "too far gone" or has to be repaired, we've found that a universal bumper/trim black such as "SEM Trim Black 39143" is an effective solution, although not quite as durable as the bare urethane. On the replacement fiberglass fascia, painting the black areas is mandatory.
    At this point you have nothing to lose by trying it, if it doesn't work it still would have to be repainted. You would sand the bumper where the plate WASN'T covering the bumper to get it to match. Use masking tape to protect the areas where you do not want to sand.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

This. DT is a rambling %#$!E^U&%T.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Yes, try the polishing compound.

This isn't the only car of that era made with the same material and look. A shop that handles '80s classics should know exactly how to treat it.

Find a good body shop - show them what you've got. <10 minutes with liquid polish and an orbital buffer made the black/unpainted urethane look like new on ours. A local shop did it as a courtesy job for $20 (both front and rear) while I watched. Took out all the fine scratches, too. No sanding in our case.

A good detailer may also be an option.

....found this on deloreans site. I may try next week.....

March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yes, try the polishing compound.

This isn't the only car of that era made with the same material and look. A shop that handles '80s classics should know exactly how to treat it.

Find a good body shop - show them what you've got. <10 minutes with liquid polish and an orbital buffer made the black/unpainted urethane look like new on ours. A local shop did it as a courtesy job for $20 (both front and rear) while I watched. Took out all the fine scratches, too. No sanding in our case.

A good detailer may also be an option.

Thanks i took a risk and wet sanded it.
    Started with 2000 grit. dropped to 1500.. then hit it with the orbital. Did this a couple times and its much cleaner. I will post pics (good or bad) tomorrow when i get the whole thing done..

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

If the tech manual is wrong, then DT is wrong, but...

The tech manual is NEVER wrong!
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

love the commentary

80 percent better.. Ill keep going.....
    Attached Images

Looks fantastic. I have done some polishing on mine, but obviously I have more to do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast