FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone installed a keyless entry system other than dmc or wings aloft?

Anyone installed a keyless entry system other than dmc or wings aloft?

Am I right in thinking that there are other systems that may work well and actually make the horn beep or the lights light up when the Fob is pressed?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    10270

I put in a generic aftermarket system.

What's nice is that you can remove the lock module and graft most of you connections directly to it comfortably from a workbench. Cuts down on the "awkwardly trying to set a half-dozen scotch-locks upside-down in the footwell".

Added a relay for the horn and one additional connection to headlight switch to blink the running lights. If you used main beams you could pick that up in the relay compartment as well.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I used the Viper 211HV.

Available here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Viper-211HV-1-.../dp/B001ANXNIW
    Last edited by Patrick C; 03-03-2016 at 08:46 PM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to support a DeLorean vendor? I mean, all of the engineering and thought has been put into the configuration of the Wings-A-Loft system (I'm not familiar with the DMCH system so I can't speak for it) so it is essentially a plug and play installation in a DeLorean. Are you looking for functionality that isn't offered in these solutions? Is it price? I'm just wondering.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to support a DeLorean vendor? I mean, all of the engineering and thought has been put into the configuration of the Wings-A-Loft system (I'm not familiar with the DMCH system so I can't speak for it) so it is essentially a plug and play installation in a DeLorean. Are you looking for functionality that isn't offered in these solutions? Is it price? I'm just wondering.
    LOL, the Wings-A-Loft is a very cool setup and I love it, but it is most definately NOT Plug and Play. You need to set aside at least 5 hours to install it. It is very straight forward and easy, but involved.

You drill holes, add relays, add wiring (lots of wiring), install actuators. Again, not plug and play.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-03-2016 at 10:29 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    LOL, the Wings-A-Loft is a very cool setup and I love it, but it is most definately NOT Plug and Play. You need to set aside at least 5 hours to install it. It is very straight forward and easy, but involved.

You drill holes, add relays, add wiring (lots of wiring), install actuators. Again, not plug and play.
    Ok, noted. I should have said "comes with easy to understand instructions and requires a moderate amount of mechanical ability". But then again, any other aftermarket system requires the same thing, only you have to figure out the wiring and configuration on your own. This would add a few hours to the job.

It didn't take me 5 hours to install, though. More like 3 or so.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

I sell keyless entry systems every once an a while. I buy them and modify them so that
    it is very simple for the owners to install them. The wiring is already cut to length and no external
    relays required, not even the diodes for the blinkers. So it looks very clean.

I only work with blinkers, I hate the horns. But they can be added if this is really desired.

Usually people send me their power lock ECU, I udate it (important!), add a connector for the remote,
    test it on my car and send it back.

If you just want lock/unlock - then it is plug and play.

If you want you can add flashing blinkers by just connecting two wires.
    One spare channel is left for a trunk opener or to open ONE door. The 3(4)
    World Tour Deloreans use them, too.

PM me if interested. I live in Germany, but I already shipped some systems to the US and it wasn't
    too expensive as it was just a small box.

By the way - so far this worked with every power lock ECU I found out there as they all work with
    a switched Ground signal.

My VIN:    6585

I have a VPA Door Popper system, and I wouldn't recommend it at all.

This system for example uses heavy solenoids, meaning that you've now got to go back and increase tension on your torsion bars by at least one click because of the added weight. So if you ever remove it, you're going to have to go back and re-tension those torsion bars again... And you're also going to have to run wires as well for this kit too. There *are* optional kicker solenoids that you can install down towards the rocker panels, but it isn't necessary. At least not in the summer time, and as long as your gas struts are fresh.

My kit was installed by someone else, and when I tried to call for assistance to obtain a wiring schematic, VPA was of no help whatsoever. So I just had to leave the module permanently unplugged.

Stick with the wings-a-loft setup.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10270

I think there is some brand confusion here. "Wings-a-loft" describes a wide range of products not limited to just the automatic door opening system.

If I were in the market for the ability to remotely open a door, I'd almost certainly pick something as well vetted as the Wings-a-loft remote door opening system.

If you just want keyless entry, the basic system appears to be $109, which if you're a DIY type is maybe more than you want to spend.

I like Toby's products but deciphering the offerings on this page gives me a headache: http://www.delorean-parts.com/Mercha...gory_Code=9401
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I like Toby's products but deciphering the offerings on this page gives me a headache: http://www.delorean-parts.com/Mercha...gory_Code=9401
    Those are the stand-alone products as they're sold a la carte. Try this page instead with descriptions of the different kits.

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Mercha...gory_Code=9400
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast