FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: What's the best oil?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The levels of zinc were lowered to increase the functional life of the catalytic convertor. They want them to last over 100,000 miles. So, unless you have that many miles on your car using high zinc motor oil it is a non-issue. The good news is that if the car was started on a high zinc diet (as most cars of this era were) the metal gets conditioned and seems to be OK with a low level of zinc now. The other choice is to use a low zinc oil and add some kind of additive that purports to contain ZDDP. That gets tricky because you really don't know how much you are adding. Too much of a good thing can be bad. Get the best premium oil you can and change it every 5,000 miles or once a year.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3455

I have the island twin-turbo setup; does this make a difference as to which oil I should use?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Yes it does. You should be using a synthetic oil, it can handle the higher temperatures and not "coke". It should be changed once a year or 5,000 miles along with the oil filter.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    So, I changed my oil today with Valvoline VR1. I made a typo on the part number above. It is VV211, not VV221. Sorry about that.

Attachment 40932

Attachment 40934

I use a piece of aluminum foil against the frame next to the drain plug, and below the oil filter to save myself from having to clean the old oil off of the frame and engine.

Attachment 40933

I have also discovered that you need to pour each quart slowly as it's very easy to overflow the filler neck.

Attachment 40935

Cheers,
    I changed my oil again today and wanted to advise that the label for Valvoline VR-1 20W50 has changed somewhat. It is still in the silver bottle, but now the packaging includes some blue coloring including the cap:

So far so good with this oil.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03500

I saw this on the Instagram so I thought I would put it here!
    Apparently since it has a Delorean on it it's okay for our cars. Ya didn't think so!
    Had to buy one all the same for the shelf. It's definitely a little spendy at $23 a 2 litter can. The old D is definitely going places.

Dave B.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

It's been a while since anyone posted to this thread about the engine oil. Shell Rotella was recommended. Shell seems to have changed the labels and I don't know if they changed the oil formula. They now have Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 for diesels. Is that still recommended? They have the T5 & 6 but those have synthetics.
    Shannon

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    It's been a while since anyone posted to this thread about the engine oil. Shell Rotella was recommended. Shell seems to have changed the labels and I don't know if they changed the oil formula. They now have Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 for diesels. Is that still recommended? They have the T5 & 6 but those have synthetics.
    I'm running the T4 15w-40 currently. But in the last few years castrol came out with their new high zinc formula.
    Castrol gtx classic 20w-50. This is becoming very popular.
    It's at Walmart 5q for about $25 this is in limited stores but it can be ordered or 1q for about $7 this is also not on the shelf in large quantities.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 02-27-2023 at 02:06 PM.

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13