FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best oil?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Not sure if Costco has the same inventory in different areas, but I was pleased to find 15w40 at the New Orleans Costco for a good price (purchased by the gallon, of course). Can't remember what brand it was, but I can snap a pic the next time I'm there if anyone's interested.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSteelDream View Post
    Another tip is to pull out the dipstick when filling oil, to give the air in the oilpan another exit.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    2 quick tips: First is the best oil funnel I've found is this one right here:

It's not only nice and wide, but it locks into the PRV (and other engines) easily because it has those "teeth" on the side. Those act as spacers to let air out so you can avoid overflowing the oil out. It also will hold the bottle in place to let all of the oil drain out with no problem because it's shaped like the oil bottles.

Second, when pouring oil, antifreeze, transmission fluid, brake fluid, or ANY fluid, always hold the bottle sideways like this:

If you do that, the air flowing into the bottle will remain smooth because the fluid can't easily rise up and block it. You will avoid the *glug* action of the liquid as it comes out. That results in avoiding any spills at all.
    Thanks for sharing the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    +1

This tip also applies when drinking beer out of a boot shaped glass.
    Excellent advice!

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    I switched over to Rotella-T 15W-40 last weekend because of this thread. Not sure if it's my ears playing tricks on me, but my engine sounds quieter.
    That's funny you say that! I edited a similar comment out of my post yesterday.... That's the first thing that I noticed as well on the VR1. I don't know if it's just because it's new oil, but I feel great that I learned the ZDDP lesson. (My wife thought I was crazy as I was revving the engine in the garage). But, in comparison, the old Castrol that I removed had less than 50 miles on it...

I learned to use the proper oil many years ago on a Porsche 944 Turbo. It called for a heavier weight oil, but being young and inexperienced, I put a lighter weight oil in it. " Oil is oil!" I thought The car was all black, even the headliner, with tight clearances in engine bay. It ran hot. Anyway, the car began consuming oil like nobody's business afterwards. When I read the manual and changed the oil to a quality, proper spec grade, the problem disappeared.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

So over the weekend I replaced my oil with the Valvoline VR-1 20W50. The leaking I had experienced with lower viscosity oil was almost from every seam - timing chain cover, oil pan... That seems to have dissipated quite a bit now though it seems I may still have a little seepage around the oil pan bolt heads. Also seems to be leaking at the crankshaft seal. Which is a bummer because I replaced it about 4 years ago.

Anyway... I'll keep an eye on things and see how it holds up.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

I made the switch to Rotella tonight.

I had so much left over castrol 20w-50 I actually did a full refill with fresh castrol followed by a quick drive to operating temp just to flush the engine. Even after that I still have a 5L jug of Castrol left "just in case."

I'm a Rotella man now. I have seen the light. Praise Jebus.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Thanks to Dana, I'm a converted man myself. Next oil change on my car is going to be Valvoline VR-1 20W50.

By the by, if you are looking for a decent deal on it in the Orlando area... O'Reilly's has it for $4.99/qt.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2202&ppt=C1941
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

In this months Hemmings Sport and Exotic

Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

After reading a bit about zinc on the two D forums and other places I decided to experiment a bit with oil. By experiment I mean see if I notice any difference whatsoever in the sound of the car, general behavior, fuel economy and how the oil looks after 3000 miles. Since I got my car in 2012 I have been using Castrol 20w-50 per DMC's recommendation. I have had no real problems with it. I just wanted to try other options after hearing about them.

I am just reaching 3000 miles using Chevron Delo 15w-40. To my ears the engine does seem noticeably more quiet. I would also venture that my fuel economy has been slightly better as well. The oil also looks more clean at this stage than the Castrol did, still some amber quality to it whereas the Castrol was black.

In this battle I am going to declare Chevron the winner. Next either Shell Rotella or Valvoline VR1
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

Does anyone sell our oil filter? Or must they come from a vendor?

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by GS450-Junkie View Post
    Purolator (P)L20252
    Bosch 3421

Some vendors sell the Bosch filter. DMC's unmarked filter looks a lot like the Bosch.

The premium Purolator will have the P in the part number. Their normal filter won't.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by GS450-Junkie View Post
    This is the filter I use. German made. I don't think Bosch manufactures them anymore. So find one on eBay.

image.jpg
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast