FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Driver's door not properly adjusted / doesn't close evenly

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If the hinges have not been disturbed then do not touch them. This kind of misalignment can occur by driving into a garage with the door open and hitting the wall. It may be possible to "untweak" the door and then weld it. This is not something most owners can do.
    If he has some time on his hands, I'd say he should do it. Even I successfully did this (with zero experience) on my original passenger door which is still tweaked to this day, but I guess it just depends on the person doing it.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    6472

This kind of misalignment can occur by driving into a garage with the door open and hitting the wall.
    Now that you mention it, I did find some light scratches/scuffs on the bottom rear edge of the driver's door. So I guess it is possible something hit the door at some point.

IMAG0809.jpgIMAG0810.jpg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Well then, you have two choices, either get another door or try to repair this one. Once they get tweaked it is difficult to fix. On the other hand another door is expensive and not easy to R & R.
    David Teitelbaum

Your location indicates you're near a DMC service center. What do they say about the door?

My VIN:    3294

Have you replaced your inner door seals recently? My doors worked perfectly until I replaced the inner door seal on my drivers side. I've tried greasing the gasket, etc., but nothing really seems to help. Taking the gasket off the car, the door works perfectly. As it is now, some days I can open the door, some days I can't. Really embarasing sometimes to pull into the gas station and you can't get out of your car.

My issue is the door doesn't seem to latch all the way down on the front striker pin.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    6472

The door seals were replaced by a previous owner, years before I bought the car. Mine actually opens and closes fine everytime. it doesn't get stuck or anything. The only thing is I just have to push/pull it a little harder to close properly. Maybe I should just live with it. I just don't want it to get worse over time or cause other issues. It's been this way since I got the car. I haven't asked DMC CA regarding the door, I wanted to see if it was something I could tackle myself first. Thanks for the suggestions

My VIN:    4626

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I know a fix but it's complicated. PM sent.
    Rob
    I have the exact same issue. What was the fix you Pm'ed to OP?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I got so tired of trying to adjust the alignment and gaps out, that I now just deal with it. I even went to the extent of enlarging the square hole where the pin is located on my problem door but that did not do much. My doors closed great without weather stripping, now I have to literally pull up on the driver side door handle to open the door (as opposed to the passenger side that just flies open) so I'm sure a new handle is in store for me down the road. I don't drive daily yet but when I do which will be shortly, I'm sure I'll get annoyed by this all over again.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I got so tired of trying to adjust the alignment and gaps out, that I now just deal with it. I even went to the extent of enlarging the square hole where the pin is located on my problem door but that did not do much. My doors closed great without weather stripping, now I have to literally pull up on the driver side door handle to open the door (as opposed to the passenger side that just flies open) so I'm sure a new handle is in store for me down the road. I don't drive daily yet but when I do which will be shortly, I'm sure I'll get annoyed by this all over again.
    Dan,

Have you considered trying a weatherstripping with a smaller profile? If your doors close well without weatherstripping, maybe it would help to reduce the amount of rubber?

25 ft of this slightly smaller profile would do one door and allow you to test:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1120A422

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Well then, you have two choices, either get another door or try to repair this one. Once they get tweaked it is difficult to fix. On the other hand another door is expensive and not easy to R & R.
    Yeah... Done by a pro you're looking at $2000. $1000 for the door itself and another $1000 in labor costs fro stripping everything out of the old door and putting it into the new plus fittment etc...
    Not Cheap

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast