FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So whats Delorean's nationality?

My VIN:    01955

So whats Delorean's nationality?

Most would say American as she was designed for that market.

So.......

Designed by Italians
    Built by the Irish
    Paid by the British
    Engineered by the British
    Supported by the Americans

Therefore she's....?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Technically

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post

Designed by Italians
    Built by the British
    Paid by the British
    Engineered by the British
    Supported by the Americans
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Like Dangermouse points out, it was built in Northen Ireland which is ruled by Great Britain.

My opinion it was built in Great Britain, payed for largely by the British, made up of 70% British parts. It's a british car.

Some will argue that because of DMC offices being in the U.S. that it's an American car. My take on that is DMC was divided early on, and DeLorean Motor Cars manufactured the cars (British cars, british company) and they were purchased and distributed in the states by DeLorean Motor Company (American Company). Just because the sales and distrubution end of it had it's offices in the states doesn't make it an American car IMHO.

My VIN:    PILOT21 #01178 #04389dwt2 #...

more:
    Engine by French
    Transmission by French
    Injection and Ignition by Germans (BOSCH Karlsruhe)
    Bumpers by Germans (Phoenix Hamburg)
    Louvres upper and lower by Germans (Ferrozell Augsburg)
    Molds for stainless steel body parts by Germans (Läpple Heilbronn)
    Catalytic Converter by Americans (ENGELHARD PTX)
    AC-Compressor by Japanese (SANKYO)
    Assembled by proud and motivated Northern Ireland workers

In Germany we call the Delorean an complete European car, built for America.
    The distribution structure was established only for the American market up from the start .
    Last edited by deloman; 08-22-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Cars are built for driving and not just for watching and stand in a museum. No exceptions.
    A car in a garage is safe, but this is not what a car is built for.

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Where the final assembly happened is where I tend to think of cars as where they are "from" - For the DeLorean, that makes it an Irish car. The components used in the final assembly, especially for modern cars are never all from one place, so it's no longer accurate to say "I drive a Swedish, German, American, Korean, Japanese" car. More accurate would be to say "I drive a car whose final assembly too place in X, Y or Z"

A good modern-day example is the Mercedes SUV's that are built in the US. Those are NOT German cars. You can see it right down to their consumer reports status in problems per vehicle in relation to their German produced counterparts.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

My VIN:    PILOT21 #01178 #04389dwt2 #...

I think Northern Ireland is right.

I try again: An European Car, build in Northern Ireland for the US American market.

What do you think about this?
    Cars are built for driving and not just for watching and stand in a museum. No exceptions.
    A car in a garage is safe, but this is not what a car is built for.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Where the final assembly happened is where I tend to think of cars as where they are "from" - For the DeLorean, that makes it an Irish car. The components used in the final assembly, especially for modern cars are never all from one place, so it's no longer accurate to say "I drive a Swedish, German, American, Korean, Japanese" car. More accurate would be to say "I drive a car whose final assembly too place in X, Y or Z"

A good modern-day example is the Mercedes SUV's that are built in the US. Those are NOT German cars. You can see it right down to their consumer reports status in problems per vehicle in relation to their German produced counterparts.
    I'd be inclined to agree with this statement...

Though the Brittish certainly have a heavy claim. Afterall, the only reason the D was built in Ireland is because they hoped some industry would quell the IRA, and other rebelious factions in the country.

But I might pose, that where the company was founded would have a say in the vehicle origin... Most would agree the El Camino is American, however after 1983 they were assembled in Mexico. DeLorean Motor Company was founded in Detroit. Therefore it is an American based company, whose primary manufacturing was in Ireland.

Many "American" Brands are made in China today... Delorean was just an early out-sourcer...
    '66 Oldsmobile Toronado 425 3spd THM425
    '86 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L 5spd Isuzu
    '82 Chevrolet El Camino 305 TH350
    '83 Chevrolet El Camino Conquista 305 TH350
    '61 Willy's CJ-5 4cyl F-head Hurricane engine. 3 spd manual (Snow Plow)

My VIN:    7075

Quote Originally Posted by deloman View Post
    I try again: An European Car, build in Northern Ireland for the US American market.

What do you think about this?
    Good for me. Actually when people ask about it, I always says, that:
    "This car is the globalization itself. John Delorean's father was Romanian, his mother was Hungarian, the car was made in Northern Ireland, and was financed with English money. The steel was German, the design was Italian, the engine is Swedish, the gearbox is French, and this all together was made to the American market. So what do you think?"

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Most of the people who ask me are older guys who are more concerned with the mechanical particulars of the car, so I tell them it's mostly English and French -- English chassis, French drivetrain.

I get really tired of explaining to ignorant U.S. citizens that Northern Ireland is not Ireland, so I try not to bring up where the thing was assembled.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    01955

So if there was a car show, you could take her to ..........

An Italian Car show

An American Car show

An English Car show

Ripper!!

But reading all your replies, I would now say it's english, engineered for the wrong side of the road.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast