FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket add-ons to original Craig W430 questions

My VIN:    1121

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Aftermarket add-ons to original Craig W430 questions

I plan on doing stereo upgrades in the next week and I have some questions. My goal isn't to create an award winning system. It's to try to get the quality of a modern, decent stock system... and have it all look as stock as possible. I have chosen hardware and have a plan, but I have a few questions about how to get it to all go together.

I plan to keep the stock head unit. As I said, I want it to all look original.

I plan to use a micro class D amp. I've chosen this one from Clarion. I'd planned to use the the high level inputs directly from the head unit, but I forgot about the common ground for the speakers. Can I use the high level inputs into the amp with the common ground or should I use Line Level converters that are designed for common ground and then use RCAs, like this as an example?

I know there have been threads about FM Modulators that connect directly in-line with the antenna. I haven't seen a lot of feedback from people who have actually used them. I'd prefer one that doesn't require a switch, like the RediRad. Has anyone actually tried one? I'm not opposed to spending the money on the RediRad, but I would like to know if someone who's used it thinks it's worth it. If not, what modulator are you using and how do you like it? I plan on hooking up a Bluetooth module, like this, to the line in the modulator will provide.

I'm hoping to be able to get at the connections without removing the stereo or center console. Should I be able to? I've only had the car since last summer, haven't taken anything apart yet, and would appreciate any suggestions on getting at wiring as easily as possible.

Yes, I will install new speakers and run new wiring to them. I'm looking forward to the adventure of removing the rear sail panels.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alan

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm hoping to do a Bluetooth conversion to my stock radio at some point in the future.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are going to install new speakers, run new wiring and separate the grounds. Provide a separate, filtered power source to the amps. Taking the radio out is not that hard and necessary to do the wiring. Removing the console is also not all that hard once you have done it. It is also a great opportunity to clean up the interior. Take the seats out too.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

I use a "eBay-special" wired modulator and a Bluetooth adapter I got in an Amazon sale. Works nicely and I have it all tucked away in the drivers side storage compartment out the way, for a total cost of about £30. The modulator I have lets you pick the frequency you want it to be on, so I've got it set on a band that has no station in the UK. If your Craig radio unit is still working properly, then it's a very useful upgrade. Not as nice as an integrated system I'm sure, but I don't want to ditch the Craig unit.

I'm actually in the process of re-vamping it at the moment and adding a mini-amp and a HLC along with a hidden aerial, and wireless charging for my phone. I'll grab some pictures once I'm a bit further along and let you know how the amp setup works out

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinDMC View Post
    I'm hoping to do a Bluetooth conversion to my stock radio at some point in the future.
    I'll let you know how happy I am with mine when I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you are going to install new speakers, run new wiring and separate the grounds. Provide a separate, filtered power source to the amps. Taking the radio out is not that hard and necessary to do the wiring. Removing the console is also not all that hard once you have done it. It is also a great opportunity to clean up the interior. Take the seats out too.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see how far I want to go. The plan is stereo, not deep interior cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by jwrayth View Post
    I use a "eBay-special" wired modulator and a Bluetooth adapter I got in an Amazon sale. Works nicely and I have it all tucked away in the drivers side storage compartment out the way, for a total cost of about £30. The modulator I have lets you pick the frequency you want it to be on, so I've got it set on a band that has no station in the UK. If your Craig radio unit is still working properly, then it's a very useful upgrade. Not as nice as an integrated system I'm sure, but I don't want to ditch the Craig unit.

I'm actually in the process of re-vamping it at the moment and adding a mini-amp and a HLC along with a hidden aerial, and wireless charging for my phone. I'll grab some pictures once I'm a bit further along and let you know how the amp setup works out
    Have you chosen the HLC and Mini amp yet? Do you have a specific make and model of your modulator?

Thanks for all the responses so far.

My VIN:    6472

Great post. My car came with a full-blown aftermarket dvd/cd/navigation system, which I'll be removing and going back to the almighty Craig. Have you considered wiring in an auxillary directly into the head unit? That's what I plan on doing with mine. Bluetooth quality is hit or miss, but a direct line is always there. The stereo lacks in the low end, so you might wanna put a sub in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    Great post. My car came with a full-blown aftermarket dvd/cd/navigation system, which I'll be removing and going back to the almighty Craig. Have you considered wiring in an auxillary directly into the head unit? That's what I plan on doing with mine. Bluetooth quality is hit or miss, but a direct line is always there. The stereo lacks in the low end, so you might wanna put a sub in there too.
    Yeah. I considered wiring the line directly to the Craig. I really didn't want an external switch to cut between the stereo itself and the aux input. I want it to be easy for my wife when she drives... which she likes to do. I decided to go for the RediRad. I'll provide a review once I get it. Admittedly, the biggest feature of that is the auto sensing. If it works like they say, I'll be happy.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yeah. I considered wiring the line directly to the Craig. I really didn't want an external switch to cut between the stereo itself and the aux input. I want it to be easy for my wife when she drives... which she likes to do. I decided to go for the RediRad. I'll provide a review once I get it. Admittedly, the biggest feature of that is the auto sensing. If it works like they say, I'll be happy.
    You don't need an external switch. The line in can be wired so that plugging in the jack defeats the radio and tape. Epic win.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    You don't need an external switch. The line in can be wired so that plugging in the jack defeats the radio and tape. Epic win.
    I'd thought of that, but I plan to hook up a Bluetooth module to the line in. I don't plan on disconnecting it. If I'm using Bluetooth, I want it to get the connection. If I'm not (no actual signal), I want the radio to get the connection. I'm hoping the RediRad will do that.

I offer updates to the Craigs an ASIs with MP3 input and Cinch output,
    just at the moment I simply don't have the time to do it.

If you can wait a few months, you can have a great update.

Here some pics of the first conversions:

http://www.deloreans.de/viewtopic.ph...1738&hilit=mp3

I made a PCB to recognize MP3 input oder radio/tape, it switches over
    nicely without a "plopp" an you can connnect the cinch output directly
    to the amplifier.

I made one with bluetooth input, too, but it's hard to get rid of the noises
    coming from the blutooth dongle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast