FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: No AC

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Well, The Battery light will come on at highway speeds. A/C on, and I have the latest DMC Alternator on the car too.
    Since it does it at highway speeds, it's probably not the RPM/pulley. That leaves adding the diode (good bet when running late model alternators).
    OR, you could have an intermittent short/drain, probably in the AC/Cooling Fan electrical system(s). If a diode doesn't work, hook a good voltmeter up and watch the readings as close as you can for more clues...

EDIT: Should of asked before- You say the light flashes on only when the AC was on. Before/After/??? it started blowing warm air?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

What mode are you running the AC, Max, Normal or Bi Level. Also, make sure the temp knob is on Max cool.

Fan cycling with the AC compressor clutch engagement is Normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    What mode are you running the AC, Max, Normal or Bi Level. Also, make sure the temp knob is on Max cool.

Fan cycling with the AC compressor clutch engagement is Normal.

Yes the temp level is set to cool, and Max AC.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Since it does it at highway speeds, it's probably not the RPM/pulley. That leaves adding the diode (good bet when running late model alternators).
    OR, you could have an intermittent short/drain, probably in the AC/Cooling Fan electrical system(s). If a diode doesn't work, hook a good voltmeter up and watch the readings as close as you can for more clues...

EDIT: Should of asked before- You say the light flashes on only when the AC was on. Before/After/??? it started blowing warm air?
    Are you suggesting hooking volt meter up to the battery and watching the volts?

I purchased the car at the end of March in Phoenix AZ. I drove it home. While driving it home I tried the AC, Noticed that only blew warm and the Batt light would sporadically come on. Seemed as if it would come on when the compressor would engage. But not every time the compressor would engage. I was thinking it may be a dirty ground.

My VIN:    03572

The diode fix is mostly to fix a flash of the battery light when the compressor switches off. I do however recommend every one install the diode on the compressor clutch because it can fix other problems with electronics.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Yes the temp level is set to cool, and Max AC.
    What is the clutch cycle frequency duration in seconds ON then OFF?

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Are you suggesting hooking volt meter up to the battery and watching the volts?

I purchased the car at the end of March in Phoenix AZ. I drove it home. While driving it home I tried the AC, Noticed that only blew warm and the Batt light would sporadically come on. Seemed as if it would come on when the compressor would engage. But not every time the compressor would engage. I was thinking it may be a dirty ground.
    Yes.
    This could easily be two separate (but related) problems.
    If the light flashes on when the clutch engages, my guess would be something related to the sudden demand for power, by the clutch and/or fans ect. drawing too much power when first turned on, alternator/regulator problem, or bad ground(s).
    If the light flashes when the clutch disengages only, like Dave and I said, a diode should fix that. And I agree, you should add the diode in any case!

You should hook up the gauges to the high side too. Unless the charge is extremely low, the low side pressure alone tells you little to nothing. (It sounds odd, but half charged or overcharged, IF it is allowed to totally cool, it will read the same pressure (eg At 70F 1oz or 3oz of R12 will show ~71 psi). It may simply be too low...

To check- Haw River shows about 80F today. Using the chart at N:09:01, with an ambient of 80F the clutch should cut OFF when the high side is at 145-190 psi and the low side is at 25-32 psi with R12 (pressures might be a little higher with 134a or other types, but it should still cool well). If the high side is too low, add refrigerant... If the low side is too low, adjust the low pressure/cycle switch...
    If an alternate refrigerant gives problems here and everything else is OK, let the high side rule...
    The pressures should be re/checked when the ambient temp is near the highest expected for the area the vehicle will be driven in, especially when using alternate refrigerants, to avoid excessively high pressures...

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The diode fix is mostly to fix a flash of the battery light when the compressor switches off. I do however recommend every one install the diode on the compressor clutch because it can fix other problems with electronics.
    I had to do this fix - my light would come on any time I'd switch the AC off. Funny though, this only happened after my EFI install, never prior.

Anyway, I couldn't buy a single diode- I had to order a minimum of 10 so if anyone wants me to send them one, let me know and I can drop it in the mail.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I had to do this fix - my light would come on any time I'd switch the AC off. Funny though, this only happened after my EFI install, never prior.

Anyway, I couldn't buy a single diode- I had to order a minimum of 10 so if anyone wants me to send them one, let me know and I can drop it in the mail.

So where does this Diode go? Where is it installed? Do you have a pic? Is this a tech service bulletin?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

So where does this Diode go? Where is it installed? Do you have a pic? Is this a tech service bulletin?
    The diode gets installed by the AC compressor at or near the connector. This is not a service bulletin, this is a solution Dave M found for negative electrical spike, the link to his original post is below.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...pressor-clutch
    Last edited by dn010; 05-07-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast