FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: No AC

My VIN:    03572

It's normal for mixed refrigerant to charge with liquid and not use gas charging. The reason is each gas in the mixture gets pulled in differently (one changes to gas before the other). Now if your using a small can and will be using the whole can I would guess charging as gas should be fine. With a 30 lb. tank you would just be charging one of the mixtures gases.

But I thought R12a was just propane.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Interesting, it says in the official Red tek instructions that you charge as a LIQUID at “0” atmosphere. Too me that means holding the can inverted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Now if your using a small can and will be using the whole can I would guess charging as gas should be fine.
    That makes sense.

The docs are FUBAR, imho.
    They say to evacuate the system, which leaves a hard vacuum, which is below '0'. Then they say to install at '0'...and not where a hard vacuum exists. Contradictory...

I'm still interested in knowing how they would suggest raising it from below '0', to '0', without going with a little gas first... But when they say their own conversion chart is too complicated....

Too much BS for me with it screwing up pressure/diagnostics and all later. But, if it works for you in the end...

My VIN:    5625

Hey guys-

So since this post I had coverted the AC to 134a with the original compressor and hoses. Once converted, I pulled a vacuum and charged and low and behold the AC worked. However, a year later the AC doesn’t work anymore. I figured it was just a little low on coolant due to a leak and hooked up the low pressure port to a can of 134a. I pumped a little in the system and noticed my compressor kick on, but it only stayed on for about 2 seconds then cut off again. I pumped a little more coolant into the system and had the same result. With the compressor off, the low side goes up to about 45psi. With the compressor on the pressure immediately drops and the compressor cuts off at 25psi. The pressure builds, the compressor kicks on, immediately drops to 25 psi then cuts off. If I leave the mode switch on the AC position it will keep doing it constantly. Basically the compressor will kick on every couple of seconds, run for a second or two then cut off again. Obvioulsly there is an issue, what do you guys think it might be?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

The 45 OFF and 25 ON is the normal pressure switch transition points. The rapid cycling means the system is still low on refrigerant. It also depends what the ambient temp is at that moment. If your pressure gauge read 45 psi static and it was 70 degrees ambient then the system is near empty. You need 134a in it. But you really should try to find the leak first. I struggled for years playing the Add can game and finally just fixed it with a system rebuild. It’s nice having reliable A/C again.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The 45 OFF and 25 ON is the normal pressure switch transition points. The rapid cycling means the system is still low on refrigerant. It also depends what the ambient temp is at that moment. If your pressure gauge read 45 psi static and it was 70 degrees ambient then the system is near empty. You need 134a in it. But you really should try to find the leak first. I struggled for years playing the Add can game and finally just fixed it with a system rebuild. It’s nice having reliable A/C again.

Yeah fixing the leak will be a winter project this year. However, I am in need of AC now. When the compressor is off how much pressure should the low side have when full of refrigerant?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

No AC

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Yeah fixing the leak will be a winter project this year. However, I am in need of AC now. When the compressor is off how much pressure should the low side have when full of refrigerant?
    Refer to this Static vapor pressure chart: [edit] my link popped up broken. So just google 134a vapor pressure chart. Select > images.

Static pressure is not an indicator of how full the system is. It only tells you that refrigerant is present. When static, the pressures observed on a Low side and high side manifold gauge set will be equal.

Without a manifold set, you are playing a bit of a guessing game. Yes you can fill with just low side adapter hose with an inline gauge. But you are guessing at how much is in the system unless you know you are at zero to start with. If at zero you will need about 2.5 12 oz cans or 1.85-.9 lbs.

Last edited by DMC5180; 07-01-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    DENNIS

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Refer to this Static vapor pressure chart: [edit] my link popped up broken. So just google 134a vapor pressure chart. Select images.

Static pressure is not an indicator of how full the system is. It only tells you that refrigerant is present. When static, the pressures observed on a Low side and high side manifold gauge set will be equal.

Without a manifold set, you are playing a bit of a guessing game. Yes you can fill with just low side adapter hose with an inline gauge. But you are guessing at how much is in the system unless you know you are at zero to start with. If at zero you will need about 2.5 12 oz cans or 1.85-.9 lbs.

ok. sounds good. Thank you for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    It doesn't work that way...
    As long as there is a little refrigerant in it and it is allowed to sit until it matches the ambien temp, it will have the same pressure regardless of how much is in it. E.G., at 70F it will have ~70psi with R12 or 134a. At 100F it will have 117psi for R12, 124psi for 134a, AFTER allowed to match ambient temp.

Normally, you should evacuate and recharge. But since you are looking for temporary, you can use the chart at N:09:01.
    Anchorage forecast shows a high of 70F today. So, according to the chart @ 70F, you would add until the low side is 20-25psi and the high side is 100-110psi when the clutch cycles OUT for R12. WARNING: 134a pressures run higher than R12 at higher ambient temps (not linear). So you should back off to 90-100psi and wait for a HOT day to adjust it. (Don't forget/procrastinate- Too little causes poor performance -- Too much causes poor performance AND damage!)

========

Charts are in our RESOURCE SECTION HERE.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast