Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
R12 equivalent aka Freeze 12 if you look at the chemical make up it is a 25/75 blend of R12/134a.

Back in mid to late 90's when conversions were just beginning to be common place. The conversion kits were supposed to be drop in replacements. I had a couple late 80's and early 90's daily drivers converted and never had an issue for the duration I continued using the cars. This was not the case for the Delorean though.

With original A/C lines now 33-35 years old the likely hood of doing a successful drop in 134a conversion that holds pressure for the driving season is getting slim. Component age is working against you.

At bare minimum doing a 134a conversion, requires dumping the Mineral oil out of the compressor and replacing the accumulator. It is recommended you flush the entire system for best results. You should replace the orifice tube.

Both PAG and Ester oils will tolerate blending with the small amounts of mineral oil without any serious adverse affects. This assumes most of the mineral oil was drained from the compressor and any oil in the accumulator aka reciever/dryer, is gone with it's replacement.

To do a proper conversion with the best chance of long term success requires replacing all the hoses with 134a Barrier type hose and a compressor in addition to the accumulator. This assumes the condenser and evaporator don't have any corrosion leaks.
Is the accumulator the cylinder behind the passenger tire? I like working on my car but holy @%#! this seems a bit involved...