FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: No AC

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    R12 equivalent aka Freeze 12 if you look at the chemical make up it is a 25/75 blend of R12/134a.

Back in mid to late 90's when conversions were just beginning to be common place. The conversion kits were supposed to be drop in replacements. I had a couple late 80's and early 90's daily drivers converted and never had an issue for the duration I continued using the cars. This was not the case for the Delorean though.

With original A/C lines now 33-35 years old the likely hood of doing a successful drop in 134a conversion that holds pressure for the driving season is getting slim. Component age is working against you.

At bare minimum doing a 134a conversion, requires dumping the Mineral oil out of the compressor and replacing the accumulator. It is recommended you flush the entire system for best results. You should replace the orifice tube.

Both PAG and Ester oils will tolerate blending with the small amounts of mineral oil without any serious adverse affects. This assumes most of the mineral oil was drained from the compressor and any oil in the accumulator aka reciever/dryer, is gone with it's replacement.

To do a proper conversion with the best chance of long term success requires replacing all the hoses with 134a Barrier type hose and a compressor in addition to the accumulator. This assumes the condenser and evaporator don't have any corrosion leaks.
    Is the accumulator the cylinder behind the passenger tire? I like working on my car but holy @%#! this seems a bit involved...
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    03572

It's my guess none of the replacements can contain any R12. Why would it be legal to sell anything with R12? All of the "R12a", "R22a", etc types I've seen are really propane. I do think the new normal retro fits will use propane since it seems to work very good for refrigerant even though it is flammable.

By the way, I just saw cans of R134a in Walmart the other day for $4.88 a can. I'm guessing R134a will not be available for sale pretty soon.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Is the accumulator the cylinder behind the passenger tire? I like working on my car but holy @%#! this seems a bit involved...
    Yes

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It's my guess none of the replacements can contain any R12. Why would it be legal to sell anything with R12? All of the "R12a", "R22a", etc types I've seen are really propane. I do think the new normal retro fits will use propane since it seems to work very good for refrigerant even though it is flammable.

By the way, I just saw cans of R134a in Walmart the other day for $4.88 a can. I'm guessing R134a will not be available for sale pretty soon.
    Everything you want to know about Red Tek 12A http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_prod.html More detailed info can be found via the (green hyper-links) found on that Page.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I did some reading on the Red Tek 12a mentioned above. This looks like it will be the new normal in A/C refrigerants. The Delorean would only require about 12 oz for a full charge. However it does say it is NOT compatible with butyl rubber hoses. I'm not sure what the OE hoses are in the D. It also warns NOT to charge a system with a "0" atmosphere Hard vacuum on it. This would imply you release the vacuum after a system evacuation and fill at static atmosphere.
    CORRECTION: Per the official Red Tek 12a installation guide.

Red Tek 12 a refrigerant is installed through the Low side service port and is charged as a liquid into a "0" atmosphere condition. Do Not install into system where a Hard Vacuum exists. Danger!! Do Not install in High Side Service Port.

Last edited by DMC5180; 03-13-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    DENNIS

Everything you want to know about Red Tek 12A http://www.redtek.com/win_12a_prod.html More detailed info can be found via the (green hyper-links) found on that Page.
    Although RED TEKĀ® 12a is developed to give similar operating conditions and capacities as R12 and R134a, this product is an Alkane /Hydrocarbon and comes from the same hydrocarbon family as propane and butane. It is extremely important to know that; Commercial propane and butane must not be used in an air conditioning or refrigeration system. These fuel grade products contain high volatility and variable compositions and impurities. This will significantly reduce the reliability and performance, leading to premature failure and would result in:

Still not accepted in the USA to be used in automotive AC but other countries have approved it.
    Dave M vin 03572

Dave, do you really think 134a will be dropped any time soon? There are what - 200 million cars with 134a systems? And, no retro options - at least practical ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hmcelraft View Post
    Dave, do you really think 134a will be dropped any time soon? There are what - 200 million cars with 134a systems? And, no retro options - at least practical ones.
    I think you will get a warning before it starts getting scarce. I thought it was coming sooner since the price had started climbing a few years back.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    5625

Alright guys-

I did test the low pressure switch and by jumpering the switch the AC clutch and fans kicked on. So I guess I just have low refrigerant. Im not sure if I'm going to do the conversion to 134a quite yet prior to seeing if I can aquire either freeze 12 or R420a. Though I am curious.... How does one test the oil level in the compressor? Is there a dip stick? Will I lose any sort of pressure by removing the oil fill nut? And what do I not want to disconnect in order to not die from freon inhalation?

Also, where is the low pressure fill point on the compressor? Is it the one on the left, drivers side?
    Last edited by Trstno1; 03-22-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post

It is the chlorine in the refrigerants that is harmful to the environment. This was established in the Clean Air Act that dates back to the 70s. R-12 and R-22 do not contain propane.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast