FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: No AC

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by hmcelraft View Post
    Dave, do you really think 134a will be dropped any time soon? There are what - 200 million cars with 134a systems? And, no retro options - at least practical ones.
    The next refrigerant is going to be carbon dioxide at very high pressures. The AC industry and car companies have been testing it for 10+ years.

BTW, R-12 is in no way illegal to use. However, it is illegal to knowingly release it to the atmosphere, to import it into the US and to manufacture it in the US.

Also, the market is flooded with R-12 replacement refrigerants, and they all claim to be the next big thing. Many people will attest that they work and they cool. However, Sanden (the manufacturer of the stock Delorean AC compressor) do not recommend any other replacement refrigerant than R134a and PAG oil.

Someone in a previous post mentioned a company that recommended charging liquid refrigerant under atmospheric conditions (i.e. not under vacuum). Highly questionable. The deeper the vacuum the better. And charging liquid on the low (compressor inlet) side is typically not recommended. It can be done as long as you go slowly without causing a hydraulic lock ("slug") in the compressor.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Although RED TEKĀ® 12a is developed to give similar operating conditions and capacities as R12 and R134a, this product is an Alkane /Hydrocarbon and comes from the same hydrocarbon family as propane and butane. It is extremely important to know that; Commercial propane and butane must not be used in an air conditioning or refrigeration system. These fuel grade products contain high volatility and variable compositions and impurities. This will significantly reduce the reliability and performance, leading to premature failure and would result in:

Still not accepted in the USA to be used in automotive AC but other countries have approved it.
    Came here to say that as well.

http://redtek.com/pdf/MSDS/MSDS_12a_302.pdf

Do yourself a favor and just stick with either R12 or R134a. Don't play around with these Hydrocarbon blends. It's not that much different than just pumping butane or propane into your A/C system.

https://www.epa.gov/snap/questions-a...t-r-22a-safety

Alkanes, or HC-based refrigerants are NOT approved for use in A/C systems that were not designed specifically for them. As an aside, I don't understand why we'll swap out NCTs, door seals, fuel lines, and coolant hoses, but insist upon trying to keep the entire A/C system in place to reuse it.

R12 or R134a are your best choices when it comes to your car. Stock runs with R12, but it's really only a minor cost to upgrade to R134a, and it can give you pretty much the same performance with a much cheaper maintenance cost in the long run given that R12 is about 5x the price. And if you need to replace the compressor anyways, then you can get a much better compressor designed for R134a too. Running these HC gases are dangerous as all hell.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

My two cents: Don't forget in your electrical troubleshooting to make sure that your diodes have not gone bad or have a flaky connection.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    BTW, R-12 is in no way illegal to use. However, it is illegal to knowingly release it to the atmosphere, to import it into the US and to manufacture it in the US.
    I think it's illegal to sell it in the US to anyone not licensed to handle it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I think it's illegal to sell it in the US to anyone not licensed to handle it.
    Yes, that may be true as well. While working at Sanden in the 90s all of us engineers had to get some sort of certification to handle service AC systems, more specifically refrigerants.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Yes, that may be true as well. While working at Sanden in the 90s all of us engineers had to get some sort of certification to handle service AC systems, more specifically refrigerants.
    Yup. The certificate is $20 and you can test online to get it.

https://www.epatest.com/609/
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Yup. The certificate is $20 and you can test online to get it.

https://www.epatest.com/609/
    Nice, thanks!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    5625

Do you guys know if the red trek 12a works with the mineral oil currently in the system? Also, is there any way to check on the level of the mineral oil in there?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast