FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door Issue

Door Issue

Need some help, just today closed the drivers door today and now the front lock won't disegage. I go to open the door and the rear lock opens and the front stays locked. Prior to this when i closed the drivers door it would sometimes lock by itself an i had to manually push the inside lock button to open the door.

Really appreciate any suggestions

start with adjusting the rods inside the door.

1mm off/slightly bent and you get such a result.

thanks mate do I need to remove all the inside trim? The door is now closed I am reaching in through the window

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Brisfx View Post
    thanks mate do I need to remove all the inside trim? The door is now closed I am reaching in through the window
    Open the passenger door and hop over the console. Much easier.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Brisfx View Post
    Need some help, just today closed the drivers door today and now the front lock won't disegage. I go to open the door and the rear lock opens and the front stays locked. Prior to this when i closed the drivers door it would sometimes lock by itself an i had to manually push the inside lock button to open the door.

Really appreciate any suggestions
    Reclose the door all the way so both latches are latched.

Roll the window down. Reach in from the outside. Rock the lock switch back and forth a time or two, then press hard and hold in the unlock position. Now, while holding the rocker in that position, try to open the door by the outside handle (using your other hand or an assistant). If that doesn't work, try the inside handle (kind of a complex 3-finger exercise but you can do it). One these will usually get the door open.

Once you get there, do the "lock and latch adjustment" procedure in the tech bulletin manual.

If this does not work, you'll have to remove the door panels and manually pull the rods, or figure out what got disconnected.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    07000

Is there a link for the lock and latch adjustment?

Thanks Dave will try that mate. Really hard to climb over the console, I am 6ft 2 tall and its a Time Machine conversion

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Is there a link for the lock and latch adjustment?
    Yes.

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-10-8.81.html
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Before you can do all of the internal adjustments you must check (and if necessary adjust) the anchor pins. The latches must click simultaneously in both 1st and 2nd locking positions. It may be necessary to remove the latches and clean and relubricate them so they will work smoothly. Before you can adjust the anchor pins you may have to replace the outer door seal if it is all tattered and ripped or the rubber is just dead. The door not operating is usually because it has been forced closed and locked and for some time it is just getting worse and worse till finally it won't open. rarely comes suddenly.
    David Teitelbaum

Ok

Had both door panels off sprayed lubricant on the inside of the latches made a slight adjustment of the locking rod and thought i had fixed it and it worked about 3 times then locked myself in again, however, now i can unlock it from the outside with the key just not by pushing the lock button while sitting inside the car

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast