FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door panel and mirror switch questions

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Door panel and mirror switch questions

I had to remove the upper and lower panels on my driver's side door to fix a stuck door. This was my first time removing both of these panels in my 5 years of ownership. First, the amount of foam caulk around the door vent was surprising. Is this a normal repair to seal this vent? Is there a different/better way?
    2016-03-12 14.31.52.jpg

Unfortunately, while taking the door apart, my working mirror switch came apart and the ball bearings and springs inside proceeded to fall out. After trying over an hour to get everything together without success, I gave up. I would get everything put into place, using a little grease to keep the bearings in place, but not matter what I tried, the bearings would get pushed out of place when trying to put the two halves together. Anyone have any tips on getting this put back together? This is what it looked like when I realized it had started to come apart, and the damage had been done at this point.
    2016-03-12 16.00.35.jpg
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    I had to remove the upper and lower panels on my driver's side door to fix a stuck door. This was my first time removing both of these panels in my 5 years of ownership. First, the amount of foam caulk around the door vent was surprising. Is this a normal repair to seal this vent? Is there a different/better way?
    Not factory but often done to make the door vent work better.

Unfortunately, while taking the door apart, my working mirror switch came apart and the ball bearings and springs inside proceeded to fall out. After trying over an hour to get everything together without success, I gave up. I would get everything put into place, using a little grease to keep the bearings in place, but not matter what I tried, the bearings would get pushed out of place when trying to put the two halves together. Anyone have any tips on getting this put back together? This is what it looked like when I realized it had started to come apart, and the damage had been done at this point.
    Replace it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

2016-03-12 14.31.52.jpg

2016-03-12 16.00.35.jpg
    Hi Stainless,

I repair mirror switches and would be interested in purchasing your components, should you choose to purchase a new one from one of the well-known vendors. Alternatively, I have a substantial supply of refurbished mirror switches complete with new ball bearings & springs.

Please see:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/291578028172
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/291666965486

Thanks for the info, guys.

Matt - I had a forum member contact me and let me know they have a switch they'll send me if I pay for shipping. If it doesn't work out, I'm glad I have your info.

Jared
    Jared L.

Shoot a photo of the hole in the metal where the switch goes. You may need to make a modification to keep this from happening again. The later cars have an access slot to depress the tables on the mirror switch. It's missing in the early ones and makes it difficult to get the switch out without breaking it.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Shoot a photo of the hole in the metal where the switch goes. You may need to make a modification to keep this from happening again. The later cars have an access slot to depress the tables on the mirror switch. It's missing in the early ones and makes it difficult to get the switch out without breaking it.
    Here's a pic I snapped while working on the door this weekend. Let me know if this is detailed enough. I didn't take a close up of just the hole.
    2016-03-12 12.21.24.jpg
    Jared L.

Here's a pic I snapped while working on the door this weekend. Let me know if this is detailed enough. I didn't take a close up of just the hole.
    2016-03-12 12.21.24.jpg
    The notches are OK. They are at either end of the hole for the switch. Look closely at the switch and you'll see the tabs you should have depressed with a couple of small screwdrivers.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Over the weekend, I installed a new SAAB version mirror switch that I got from 81dmc. It plug and play and took me less than 5 minutes to install. It works great and looks completely normal, even though it looks different than the original.
    Jared L.

My VIN:    Early

Over the weekend, I installed a new SAAB version mirror switch that I got from 81dmc. It plug and play and took me less than 5 minutes to install. It works great and looks completely normal, even though it looks different than the original.
    Glad to hear it works great for you!
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    07000

Dumb question, but when working on your doors with the panels off, do you keep it closed most the way, or are you bungee cording it to something to keep it from swinging up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast