FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: EFI Swap Donor Vehicles posted

EFI Swap Donor Vehicles posted

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5470014870.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...486826064.html

I can assist with anything needed (fuel maps, injectors, sensors, wiring diagrams, custom brackets, etc) to help get the 3.0L running. Either of these cars would be good candidates at the right price.
    Last edited by Drive Stainless; 03-14-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Advantage of buying a complete running car is you have reasonable assurance the engine is good, especially if you drive the car home rather than tow it.

Two warnings from someone who's done this before:

1) Don't tell the seller what your intentions are. They think Grandma's car is going to stay Grandma's car. It will only hurt their feelings to know the truth. I made that mistake with a 1969 Lincoln that donated its engine and transmission to my 1979 Lincoln. You don't have to lie to the seller -- just don't tell them the truth. Say something like "I'll decide exactly what to do with the car after I get home."

2) If the car is in very good condition, beware that you may end up leaving the car intact and adding it to your fleet (in which case your donor engine search starts all over again, hopefully not to find *ANOTHER* good condition car). I bought a 1983 Volvo to donate its PRV engine and crush what's left, but the little car now has a license plate on the back (I need a Volvo like I need a hole in my head, but the little car is just too nice to crush).

Anyway, if you have a chance to buy a running engine in its native vehicle, I'd definitely choose that over a junkyard engine on a pallet.

Bill Robertson

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I can't believe that I am going to say this to my arch-nemesis, but I agree with Bill. Though, I would that I would personally do both a compression and leak down test still, even if it is a runner.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I can't believe that I am going to say this to my arch-nemesis, but I agree with Bill. Though, I would that I would personally do both a compression and leak down test still, even if it is a runner.
    Curious, have you ever bought a used car where the owner allowed you to perform both tests? Would you allow a potential buyer for your D to pull the spark plugs before purchase? I wouldn't.

Last time the plugs on my '99 Mercedes were changed, one plug broke off. The head had to be removed and sent to a machine shop for repair.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Curious, have you ever bought a used car where the owner allowed you to perform both tests? Would you allow a potential buyer for your D to pull the spark plugs before purchase? I wouldn't.

Last time the plugs on my '99 Mercedes were changed, one plug broke off. The head had to be removed and sent to a machine shop for repair.
    Yes, twice. Though, in the case of this conversation, I meant after purchase when readying engine for transfer.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze